Honored Contributor

Re: My simple solution re: traffic stops...

On 4/8/2015 SydneyH said:

If that video footage hadn't surfaced, I suspect that officer would still be on the force.

I agree with you. The chief was backing up his story until the video surfaced.

It was his word against that of a dead man...and he "planted" the taser near the body to back up his story too.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

On the surface this sounds like a good idea but it really is not. There are many people arrested for outstanding warrants, drunk driving, drugs, etc.. Many of these same stops find people driving without insurance. Traffic stops for these types of offenses because they take people who shouldn't be on the street, off.

While this particular death may have been avoided, this cop was obviously a bad one and it was only a question of how long it would have taken him to seriously hurt or kill someone.

I am glad this monster is not only off the streets but in jail.

Traffic stops are dangerous for cops, in 1999 half of all officer, line of duty deaths were related to traffic stops so while this case is absolutely horrible the statistics show they are much more dangerous for the officer than the person being stopped.

I think this situation is terrible and I want all cops like him off the streets and in jail but it still doesn't change the fact the vast majority cops are good.

That's why I think they should just issue a ticket electronically in most cases. It's just as dangerous for LE.

With the sophisticated computer programs that are now available - when they run the license, they can also check for outstanding warrants. They don't have to stop the person UNTIL they know he/she needs to be picked up - and then they can get back up. Simple minor infractions can be handled by mailing tickets, like they now do for running red lights that are equipped with cameras.

Super Contributor

Given the incidents in MO and NY . . . this officer will more than likely be convicted. I give it a 98% odds. I don't think the Supreme Court previous rulings are going to help him on shooting the fleeing suspect in this case and the moving and dropping of the taser as seen in the video, before the frame by frame analysis takes place . . . doesn't bode well for him either.

Also from the same article I quoted from above:

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the state’s criminal investigative body, has begun an inquiry into the shooting. The F.B.I. and the Justice Department, which has opened a string of civil rights investigations into police departments under Mr. Holder, is also investigating.

The Supreme Court has held that an officer may use deadly force against a fleeing suspect only when there is probable cause that the suspect “poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.”

Honored Contributor

Would be nice if it would work, but it would probably go the way of the red-light camera tickets. Guilty people complain they have the right to being charged by a human they can argue with and non-guilty have other reasons to complain. Many municipalities seem to be giving up on them.

The SC case certainly seems to show egregious police error. I haven't heard anyone all day long trying to defend the shooter's action. Absolutely no comparison to any of the cases from earlier this year where police overreach was charged.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 terrier3 said:

That's why I think they should just issue a ticket electronically in most cases. It's just as dangerous for LE.

With the sophisticated computer programs that are now available - when they run the license, they can also check for outstanding warrants. They don't have to stop the person UNTIL they know he/she needs to be picked up - and then they can get back up. Simple minor infractions can be handled by mailing tickets, like they now do for running red lights that are equipped with cameras.

I would never pay a ticket issued electronically, this would tie up magistrates through out the country imo.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

On the surface this sounds like a good idea but it really is not. There are many people arrested for outstanding warrants, drunk driving, drugs, etc.. Many of these same stops find people driving without insurance. Traffic stops for these types of offenses because they take people who shouldn't be on the street, off.

While this particular death may have been avoided, this cop was obviously a bad one and it was only a question of how long it would have taken him to seriously hurt or kill someone.

I am glad this monster is not only off the streets but in jail.

Traffic stops are dangerous for cops, in 1999 half of all officer, line of duty deaths were related to traffic stops so while this case is absolutely horrible the statistics show they are much more dangerous for the officer than the person being stopped.

I think this situation is terrible and I want all cops like him off the streets and in jail but it still doesn't change the fact the vast majority cops are good.

There are many other reasons they stop a person for those reasons and it could not be done by running a license. This will never happen because a great percentage of arrests occur from seemingly simple traffic stops. They are essential in keeping the public safe.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2015 SydneyH said:

I would never pay a ticket issued electronically, this would tie up magistrates through out the country imo.

I agree with you and most people wouldn't and this is but one reason it would be a logistical nightmare.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure how stopping ""John Smith"" can be dangerous. That is unless John Smith had something to hide or is not co-operative.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

I've only been pulled over twice in my life. When I was 15 with a restricted license, warning issued. And again when I was about 30, no ticket then either.

IF I get pulled over again anytime soon . . . I will just remain in my car, my hands upon the wheel in the 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock position and WAIT until the officer instructs me to remove my license from my purse and/or my registration from my glove box.

They don't want you getting out of your car.

They don't want you running away.

Better safe than sorry. My hands will stay in full view upon the steering wheel.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2015 Qwackertoo said:

I've only been pulled over twice in my life. When I was 15 with a restricted license, warning issued. And again when I was about 30, no ticket then either.

IF I get pulled over again anytime soon . . . I will just remain in my car, my hands upon the wheel in the 10 o'clock & 2 o'clock position and WAIT until the officer instructs me to remove my license from my purse and/or my registration from my glove box.

They don't want you getting out of your car.

They don't want you running away.

Better safe than sorry. My hands will stay in full view upon the steering wheel.

I used to have a lead foot and have gotten pulled over more times than I like to admit. Haven't been pulled over in quite a while once I smartened up and got sick of paying fines.

JFK