Esteemed Contributor

Re: My simple solution re: traffic stops...

On 4/8/2015 NoelSeven said:

They've used lights around here for people not coming to a complete stop, AND they send them a ticket for $500. No accident, just supposedly a rolling stop.

In about two years, it all backfired, with it being proven the lights weren't always correct. Small towns who used them for making money were stuck with big bills AFTER they'd collected a small fortune.

And this is why I have no desire to live in a small town. The city/town officials always have their hand out and their leg up.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

On 4/8/2015 raven-blackbird said:
On 4/8/2015 sidsmom said:
On 4/8/2015 raven-blackbird said:

do you know how many felons have been apprehended over a broken tail light or other minor violation.........you can start with Lee Harvey Oswald.....and follow it up with Timothy McVeigh....................................raven

Funny we posted this @ the same time! My SO is a police officer & has been patient answering my questions about stuff like this! Like I mentioned before, there are many different reasons why the police want to talk w/ the actual driver of the car in question.

exactly right...........they use the minor infraction as probable cause to move into what they really stopped them for...............................................raven

Which could still be done.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 terrier3 said:
On 4/8/2015 sidsmom said:

There are a million different reasons why the police want to actually talk to the driver. Sometimes it's those simple stops that reveal major criminals.

Two words: Timothy McVeigh Missing tags.

That was a once in a lifetime catch.

Most of these minor infractions are just that - minor.

If they run the plates and find out there is an arrest warrant...they can proceed with caution.

It is illegal to search w/o probable cause. You just can't get pulled over for a broken light and searched for everything and anything.

Not really. There are a lot of felons caught through minor traffic violations. It happens all the time.

There is a lawsuit pending in Akron over the legality of traffic cameras so I'm betting this wouldn't go over well either.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 betteb said:

They've used lights around here for people not coming to a complete stop, AND they send them a ticket for $500. No accident, just supposedly a rolling stop.

In about two years, it all backfired, with it being proven the lights weren't always correct. Small towns who used them for making money were stuck with big bills AFTER they'd collected a small fortune.

And this is why I have no desire to live in a small town. The city/town officials always have their hand out and their leg up.

Many of the red light infraction photo companies get a portion of the fees collected, too.

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 jessa said:
On 4/8/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

It is a good idea, but folks could say they never received the ticket in the mail.

They could send it certified or whichever is the one that needs a signature to prove receipt.......

you dont have to sign anything that they TRY to deliver.....you can refuse delivery or just not open the door.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/8/2015 tansy said:
On 4/8/2015 betteb said:

Many of the red light infraction photo companies get a portion of the fees collected, too.

Hi tansy-I'm sure they do. You have to spend money to make money.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

I live on a corner and about 95% of the drivers either drive right through the stop sign or do the rolling stop thing when making a right hand turn. It would be great if the sheriff (I live in the county) would sit across the street in an unmarked car and catch these people.

Respected Contributor

I don't believe that's legal. I believe that the summons has to be handed to the driver in order for it to be properly served. For parking violations, the summons is placed on the car; it is not mailed to the name of the registered owner. What you're suggesting is something like what has been tried with "red light cameras". The results have not been positive.

Esteemed Contributor

You probably won't believe this, but I think the large majority of Americans are not even aware that they can refuse to be searched. I don't think they know that they can refuse to allow a cop to search their vehicle without probable cause.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind police pulling people over for minor infractions, they have the choice not to issue a citation.