Honored Contributor

My simple solution re: traffic stops...

Instead of stopping cars for broken brake lights, cracked windows, etc.....

How about MY simple solution -

Just get their license plate number, enter it into the in-car computer, and issue a ticket to their homes automatically.

This wouldn't apply to speeding or erratic driving...just simple things like expired plates, broken lights, etc.

It will save LE time, make money for the city and keep everyone - citizens and police - a lot safer.

Respected Contributor

Re: My simple solution re: traffic stops...

That sounds like a good idea.

Honored Contributor

It is a good idea, but folks could say they never received the ticket in the mail.

Respected Contributor

Then they get the ticket in the mail, fix the problem, and fight the ticket, no? Claim the plate # must have been wrong or something. (If this is a continuation of some other conversation, I'm not aware)
Super Contributor

Okay by me. They do that in Seattle for school zone violations. If you speed, a camera records your speed, your car and license number, time of day, date, etc. Then you get a little letter with your car photo and the place you were, plus the fine, which the last time I checked was just under $200. If you want to contest the fine, you can request a court appearance at their convenience and plead your case. It frees LE up for other more serious things.

Contributor

Sounds like a plan.

Super Contributor

On 4/8/2015 deepwaterdotter said:

It is a good idea, but folks could say they never received the ticket in the mail.

They could send it certified or whichever is the one that needs a signature to prove receipt.......

Honored Contributor

On 4/8/2015 VanSleepy said: Then they get the ticket in the mail, fix the problem, and fight the ticket, no? Claim the plate # must have been wrong or something. (If this is a continuation of some other conversation, I'm not aware)

I was actually thinking that they might have 30 days to fix the problem and get the ticket dismissed. That is usually what happens now to expired inspection sticker violations here now anyway.

This would get the problems taken care of - the goal of the fine in the first place...or result in a fine for the city.

Lots of cities now have automatic tickets for people going through red lights or toll booths.

This would be similar and would cut down on unnecessary encounters that could be dangerous all around.

Respected Contributor

Sounds reasonable to me. If an infraction isn't a danger to others or the driver, why not?

Honored Contributor

There are a million different reasons why the police want to actually talk to the driver. Sometimes it's those simple stops that reveal major criminals.

Two words: Timothy McVeigh (Stopped for missing tags)