Honored Contributor

Re: My car was broken into this weekend....

[ Edited ]

Something to be said about wearing waist packs (fannie packs) now-a-days.  Also, very recently Lori (The Shark Tank Lady) featured on QVC a belt pack without using a belt.  It has a large, smooth and pliable magnet inside, and folds over our waistband.   I just might order one.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this.  I've had a purse stolen also and know how violated you feel....  and how much work it is to notify everyone.

My oldest DH lived in the downtown area of a large Metro city.  He owned a soft top jeep and was in the habit of locking it.  Well.... someone slit the top got into the car and stole (of all things a 30 year old sleeping bag).  There was nothing of value in the jeep (except the destroyed soft top).

He repaired the soft top and installed a break-in proof console BUT decided to leave his jeep unlocked from then on.  Someone got into the jeep, discovered the locked console and went about trying to jimmie it open.... and couldn't.  Ruined the lock on the console and there were no valuables in it!   So, from then on he left his jeep unlocked and the interior mangled console unlocked and said "skr*w it"..... never left anything in it he didn't want taken (and believe me, no one wanted that jeep!).... 

I grew up in that city.... anything not nailed down will be stolen.  I now live in a small town where ladies leave their purse at their tables (with no one else there) to go to the ladies room..... Woman Surprised 

I'm still not used to it......

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Correction..... DH should read DS.... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shaunac wrote:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing too.  If they really want to steal your car, they will.  I just thought seeing a wheel lock might deter them and they might move on. I'm afraid they will come back and try to break into my car again.  There won't be any valuables in it, but I'm afraid they will try to steal it. 

I never put my purse in my trunk while in public, always at home so no one will see.  I think it is common for people to leave their valuables in their car while at the gym.  I shouldn't have done so, but really hate to have to change my habits to accommodate thieves.  But will now.  I bought a backpack and will carry my purse in it into the gym.  I don't trust the lockers there. 

@Shaunac

Why don't you trust the lockers at your gym?  It seems as if they would be a lot safer than the parking lot.  At my gym we bring our own locks to secure the lockers, so it's not as if someone else will be able to unlock it with a master.  Do the lockers at your gym have a lock already attached, or is there another reason that you feel they are unsafe?

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

The lockers could be smelly/dirty/bed bugs, etc.  Just thought of that.  Well, maybe they are sanitizing them?  Just a thought as I had a light bulb moment. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Another safety tip... Never leave your purse in clear view or next to you on the passenger seat while driving. Smash and grabs happen while waiting at stop lights.... so fast ...before you can even react.

Honored Contributor

For everyday errands, I use a wristlet.  You'd be amazed what you can fit in one.  They are light and convenient.

I would not put a purse in a gym locker.  Gyms are notorious for thieves.

Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing too.  If they really want to steal your car, they will.  I just thought seeing a wheel lock might deter them and they might move on. I'm afraid they will come back and try to break into my car again.  There won't be any valuables in it, but I'm afraid they will try to steal it. 

I never put my purse in my trunk while in public, always at home so no one will see.  I think it is common for people to leave their valuables in their car while at the gym.  I shouldn't have done so, but really hate to have to change my habits to accommodate thieves.  But will now.  I bought a backpack and will carry my purse in it into the gym.  I don't trust the lockers there. 

@Shaunac

Why don't you trust the lockers at your gym?  It seems as if they would be a lot safer than the parking lot.  At my gym we bring our own locks to secure the lockers, so it's not as if someone else will be able to unlock it with a master.  Do the lockers at your gym have a lock already attached, or is there another reason that you feel they are unsafe?

A friend of a friend had a lot, more than $1,000 stolen from the gym locker.  I know, I know.  Why would anyone bring so much money to the gym?  He was going to buy a t.v. after he went to the gym.  As a matter of fact, I believe it was way more than that.  I know the gym provides those tools to clip off locks, if you need it.  I don't trust some twenty year old employee to NOT verify that the lock someone is asking to clip off is actually their lock, but someone else's stuff they want to steal.  I bought a backpack and will carry my purse around in that.  I wouldn't bring my purse at all, but I always run errands after the gym. 

Trusted Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I've been using that metal bar that locks onto the steering wheel for 48 years and, luckily, have never had my car broken into. I drive a 1987 Honda Accord (a popular car to be stolen) - as the crooks need car parts. I feel that it would take extra effort to steal my car - better than not using any deterrent.

This is how I feel.  If they see the lock on the steering wheel, maybe they'll think its too much of a hassle and move on to someone else's car. 

Respected Contributor

When I worked out years ago cars were always being broken into and purses stolen. They also would break the locks off the lockers while you were upstairs working out. I never took anything important with me or would take a small bag upstairs with me.

Gyms are the worst place for stolen items. It only takes seconds.