Respected Contributor

Re: My car was broken into this weekend....

First Sorry to hear your purse was stolen from your car. Glad you still have your car. Thieves wait in the parkling lot near gyms knowing most people leave their valuables inside their cars. You learned your lesson and hopefully won't leave your purse inside your car again. I see this quite alot when I go food shopping and out doing errands, purses just left in the cars! 

I bet that same thief sits in your gym parking lot on a regular basis and does this to many people at your gym. I would alert your gym about what happened to you so they can keep an eye out. 

I used to go to a very busy gym and I never felt safe there when I parked my car because there were too many people sitting inside their cars watching. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Does not matter if you have a car alarm or anything else. If someone wants to break in your car it's as easy as breaking your window. I'm sorry your purse was stolen but why would you leave it in your car? You won't see anything worth stealing if you look inside my car. I don't keep anything in sight that I don't want stolen. If I was to leave my purse in my car it would be in the trunk. I do that all the time when we travel & stop to eat. I don't want to carry my purse, iPad etc so all those things go in the trunk. We also try to sit some place in the restaurant where we can watch our car while eating.

What's the difference between leaving your purse in the car or the trunk?  They still have access to the trunk. 

Trusted Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I'm sorry this happened to the OP.  Was anything else taken or was the car broken into because the purse was in view?

A club may deter the theft of the car but not breaking in to steal valuables in view.

The purse was not in view.  It was hidden.  They had to search for it. 

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Shaunac wrote:

while I was at the gym.  Yes, they stole my purse.  Really upset about it.  They tried to use my card at a pizza place, but it was declined as I had already called the bank.  I saw video of them, but didn't recognize them.  Interestingly enough, they drive the exact same car as me.  My son says my car is easy to break into and steal, but driving the same car, I'm sure they practiced.  My question is this.  Do any of you use a wheel lock?  Are they worth it?  I don't mean the money because they are rather cheap, but do they really work?  I stopped using my alarm as sometimes it doesn't connect to the sensor.  I will start using it again.  Any tips for keeping my car safe?  Thanks for any help you can give. 

How is a wheel lock going to help from having your purse stolen from your car?  Your car was safe, the contents weren't. 

My purse will no longer be left in the car.  The thieves drive the same car as me.  It is easy to break into and steal.  I was asking if the steering wheel locks actually or deter thieves from trying to steal the car. 

Respected Contributor

Leaving valuables in the car is like asking for trouble. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

I've been using that metal bar that locks onto the steering wheel for 48 years and, luckily, have never had my car broken into. I drive a 1987 Honda Accord (a popular car to be stolen) - as the crooks need car parts. I feel that it would take extra effort to steal my car - better than not using any deterrent.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Does not matter if you have a car alarm or anything else. If someone wants to break in your car it's as easy as breaking your window. I'm sorry your purse was stolen but why would you leave it in your car? You won't see anything worth stealing if you look inside my car. I don't keep anything in sight that I don't want stolen. If I was to leave my purse in my car it would be in the trunk. I do that all the time when we travel & stop to eat. I don't want to carry my purse, iPad etc so all those things go in the trunk. We also try to sit some place in the restaurant where we can watch our car while eating.

I do see the dilemma of going into someplace you cannot watch your purse or lock it up, so you feel safer with it in the car. And many cars don't have a trunk, and many that do are easily accessed from the back seat just folding down these days, so the whole, 'lock it in the trunk' thing really isn't that much safer for many, only keeps it out of sight and my send the bad guys to another car if they are only looking to steal the purse, not the car.

If I plan on going someplace that I don't want to or cannot babysit my purse, I've started leaving it at home and taking only what I need with me. And that can be as simple as a drivers license, credit or debit card, and keys. I make sure I am wearing something that I can put them in my pocket and just make do without the other things in my purse, or, if my wallet isn't in my purse, I don't really care if it gets stolen. Nothing else in there worth worrying about.

Honored Contributor

Our gym is close to our house - a block away so I don't ever take a purse there. Just my gym card on a lanyard around my neck and a small towel that fits in my pocket to wipe down the equipment. I am way to sweaty when I leave the gym to ever go diractly anywhere from there. I walk home and shower first.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shaunac wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

What's the difference between leaving your purse in the car or the trunk?  They still have access to the trunk. 

They have to know it's in the trunk. At least it's not visible inside the car which would make a person more app to steal it. I only do this when we are traveling when we stop to eat. We can see our car from inside. I figure that beats leaving it in the restaurant. I'm not used to having a purse on my person at all times. I only take a purse with me when I leave the house by myself or travel. If I'm with DH I never take it with me since I don't need it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been hearing that 'they've' (thieves) been using some type of electronic device that unlocks cars (mostly newer cars), and I suppose trunks, too.  Can't win. 'No way, no how'.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).