Respected Contributor

My Debit Card Was Involved YET Again in a Mass Compromise

This is like my 4th one in about 5 years.

I got an email about it last week....I called the bank and all they could tell me is that the vendor "suspects" it was hacked. When that happens BOA sends a new card. They won't tell me which vendor, because it is only a suspicion. If it is confirmed "you will hear about it on the news".

Well so far I haven't heard anything, but this really ticks me off. Now I have to update all my online payments.

Grrrrrrrrr.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Anyone else recently get a notice about this?

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Debit Card Was Involved YET Again in a Mass Compromise

I have a BOA Visa and have had them give me a new card twice in 5 years for the same reason you cited. they wouldn't tell me anything either. I just wonder why my other credit cards which are major VISA and MC card providers (Chase, Citibank and Capitol One) don't seem to,have this issue. It's only my BOA VISA.
Honored Contributor

i have a boa debit visa and have never had to have a new one issued.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I use it for everything....I rarely use cash.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

A bank (years ago) told me it was some sort of (new) ID photo card. Found out later that it was a debit card, so I cut it up. Funny how some people just don't explain anything of importance. Probably on commission, selling 'products', etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

I know people like their debit cards, to avoid using credit cards for any number of reasons, but a computer banking expert whose opinion I trust (she works for one of the biggest banks in the country) advised me some years back to only use my debit card for getting cash out of the ATM.

Just thought I'd pass it on.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

Good to know, Sharlee. Nice, unique nic, BTW. Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I have Union Bank, and they told me how my debit card was compromised twice last year..once with Target, and once with Home Depot. I've been using cash a lot more now. See the Wells Fargo thread, to learn how many people think using plastic is "safer". I hope I haven't been involved in this latest issue...but probably one of the few times I didn't use cash somewhere...I got compromised, again! This is getting old.
Super Contributor

This has happened to me several times with BOA too. Most recently a few weeks ago. They seem to be all over it when it happens, and they stop the transactions before I ever find out about them, but it happens way too often. My new card has the chip in it, something else to worry about.

Honored Contributor

Citibank/Citicorp (my Sears M/C) was compromised right around Christmas.

I only use the card so I can get perks ($50 & $100 Shell gas cards).

Screwed me up with shopping, auto payments (ez pays, EZ Pass, etc.).

Then when I finally did get the new card/new number, half the time I used it, it got denied, the Security dept. had a trigger finger. UGH!

We travel a lot and I always have to call them or I get denied. And even then, it still happens.

I usually go through self checkout because I can't stand when the clerk tells me it wasn't approved. DH has a FIT and says it's not worth the aggravation w/Citicorp.