Valued Contributor

Re: Meal From Your Childhood

My mom was an Awesome cook. My favorite thing was when she would make Chile Verde, Rice and Beans.Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother WAS an excellent southern cook , and made the best cast iron fried chicken, cast iron cornbread, fluffy mashed potatoes, with steamed green beans.👍

She ALWAYS baked the BEST peach cobbler for dessert. My siblings and I, would sometimes fight over the buttery, flaky crust.😊. Anyone that has ever had the pleasure of tasting it, would attest to that.😁

Age has not been kind to her, and her cognition is deteriorating, but those cherished memories wrap a ribbon around my heart, and comfort my soul.❤

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

Always loved when my mother made breakfast for dinner.

My other favorite was scalloped potatoes made with canned sardines.

Esteemed Contributor

My favorite was leg of lamb with roasted potatoes around it. I always looked forward to it. I make it for myself every Easter but hard as I try it's just not as good as Moms. She also made a great pot roast. She was also a great cake baker which the family loved. Dad was a meat and potato man with bread and butter on the table every night. Great memories. 

Super Contributor

meatloaf, green beans and baked potato

tuna noodle casserole topped with crushed potato chips

Respected Contributor

My mother was a fabulous cook.

I had two favorite meals. One was lamb chops and peas. We ate most of the peas raw, not many ended up being cooked. The other favorite was squab with red cabbage. Her latkes were a huge treat crispy with sour cream and caviar. Oh, my!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hungarian goulash and chicken dumpling soup.  My mother makes excellent spaghetti sauce with lots of hamburger simmering it for hours until thick enough.  Her candied sweets are the best too, chewy on the outside, soft on the inside.  

My father is a good cook too, but doesn't do much cooking anymore, either.  His bean soup with lots of ham was the best and not to forget shrimp cooked in beer with spices.  

Then, there was my grandmother on my father's side, the Queen of cooking and baking.  Her chicken rivel soup.  Can't forget all the baking she did from scratch.  Strudel, 7 layer cake, plum cake, and fasnachts my favorites.  I remember visiting when she was stretching the dough for her strudel.

Can't remember what it's called, but she would wrap plums with sugar and cinnamon in dough, then cook on the stove in a plummy liquid.  

Don't know why, but she always made something for us to be picked up on Saturday morning.  My father always took me along.  We never knew whether it was a meal or dessert, so my mother stayed behind to make lunch.  If it was a meal my grandmother made, we'd have it for dinner.  

Honored Contributor

My mother was British and she made roast beef and yorkshire pudding.  Her yorkshire pudding was to die for.  She passed away in 1992 and I haven't had it since.  Loved her plum pudding with custard at Christmas but that may have been more because I loved seeing her walk into the diningroom with it lit up that the actual pudding itself.  My mom was a good cook so whatever she made was wonderful but the roast beef and yorkshire pudding was hands down my favorite. 

Honored Contributor

I am putting a heart on every single one of these. I am so hungry now!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I grew up in a Catholic home so we always had a meatless meal on Friday.   My favorite was when my Mom made breaded halibut or cod for Friday night dinner.  To this day, I still love most types of fish.  

Growing up we lived right down the street from a bakery so my Mom didn't do a lot of baking.  We usually bought our bread, rolls and cookies but she always baked her own pies.  I know I'm prejudiced but I've never tasted an apple pie that could compare to my moms.

I've tried for years but I've never been able to master the flakiness of her pie crusts.