Regular Contributor

Re: Mariah Woods' mother's live-in boyfriend is arrested...

@Deanie wrote:

@Maudlynn  I am not appreciative of your lecture to read about the adverse circumstances that existed during those times.  I am a child of first generation and have personally experienced the front row seat of the struggle to survive in very difficult circumstances. And, also, a first hand witness to the horrors of the 'camps' during the WW2 since I had loved ones in camps. I speak from a very well informed place. Actually, with my background. I have all the bases covered.

I gave no lecture. I stand by my statement. Do some reading. Start with The Jungle and then tell me how pristine it was for immigrant families and how none endangered their children.

Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

Unfortunately, women in tough economic circumstances are desperate to have someone else help with the responsibilities- whether it be another paycheck or a baby sitter or even someone who has a car.  Not surprised by this at all. It's hard to be poor and out of options and this is the result.

@Maudlynn  Where did you read that Mariah's mother was poor and out of options?

We still do not know all the facts surrounding this poor child's presumed death.

Comparing this situation to "The Jungle" and other stories of poverty stricken immigrants has nothing to do with Mariah Woods.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Regular Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Unfortunately, women in tough economic circumstances are desperate to have someone else help with the responsibilities- whether it be another paycheck or a baby sitter or even someone who has a car.  Not surprised by this at all. It's hard to be poor and out of options and this is the result.

@Maudlynn  Where did you read that Mariah's mother was poor and out of options?

We still do not know all the facts surrounding this poor child's presumed death.

Comparing this situation to "The Jungle" and other stories of poverty stricken immigrants has nothing to do with Mariah Woods.

@You would have to read the post in context @Cakers3. Take a look at where the child was living. There were financial issues there clearly- especially if the child's grandmother was living with them all.

Trusted Contributor

I agree totally,  the mothers should be charged and prosecuted with heavy sentences. Most of the time, the mother knows the abuse is going on and chooses not to protect her child, rather sides with a sorry disgusting  piece of ****** not even deserving of the name man. A lot of times, the mother also inficts abuse as well on the child. So sad, not only was she a deneseless child of just 3 years old, she had some physical impairments as well.. 

Respected Contributor

@Maudlynn  there are NUMEROUS programs for individuals in California.  I'm sure there are program (although under different names), in other states.  

1. Section 8 housing assistance
  2. Breakfast and Lunch - free for school children
  3. Assistance with utilities based on income
  4. Welfare
  5. Free health insurance - Medicaid
  6. Free Cellphones
  7. Education grants for single mothers
  8. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) program aka Cal Fresh
  9. Food Stamps
  10. WIC - Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.

It's fortunate that there are programs available for those that need them, my comment was that if she was struggling financially there is help available and being poor is not a valid excuse to not provide a safe environment for your children. 

You don't have to be wealthly or even financially secure to keep your children safe.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Maudlynn  there are NUMEROUS programs for individuals in California.  I'm sure there are program (although under different names), in other states.  

1. Section 8 housing assistance
  2. Breakfast and Lunch - free for school children
  3. Assistance with utilities based on income
  4. Welfare
  5. Free health insurance - Medicaid
  6. Free Cellphones
  7. Education grants for single mothers
  8. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) program aka Cal Fresh
  9. Food Stamps
  10. WIC - Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.

It's fortunate that there are programs available for those that need them, my comment was that if she was struggling financially there is help available and being poor is not a valid excuse to not provide a safe environment for your children. 

You don't have to be wealthly or even financially secure to keep your children safe.

@CAcableGirl2, all support programs are struggling to keep up. Availability is not so easy. And although being poor may not be an excuse for providing a safe environment for children, it can be a heck of a lot harder.

My comment is a general one and not directed at the issue being discussed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

From the picture I saw of the house, it didn't seem large. It looked like, at most, three bedrooms. Assuming the grandmother had one, the mother had the second, and the three children sharing the third, how could the girl be killed without anyone knowing?

Esteemed Contributor

@LoveMyBaby et al: The topic of whether the mother had a live in to help with expenses could be debated forever. That being said, I managed a subsidized low income 56 unit complex for four years and then worked in the courts for 25 years. What I witnessed was that most of the "live-ins" did not work or contribute financially. They sucked off the mother's public assistance allowance. It made me sick.The women think that they can't live without a man, the men see the weakness and latch themselves onto a life of no work and no assistance in any way. That's not to say all of them, but I saw enough over many, many years that I can safely say it's the "norm".

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Amen sister. I have witnessed the same for many years. The women, even if being abused theirself always go back to the abuser., or simply replace him for another abuser. Sad to say what happens to the kids especially the young girls, These women a lot of times will offer up their very young daughters for sex to settle a drug debt.Bottom line is, if you do not want children, do not have them.

Honored Contributor

IMO the boyfriends want the woman, but not her kids. Abuse or the latter happens in these tragic cases.