Honored Contributor

Mackinac Island, MI - Need Some Recs.

[ Edited ]

I've been wanting to go to Mackinac Island and stay at The Grand Hotel as long as I can remember.  It's always been a back burner kind of thing due to the expense.  DH and I are going to be on a bit of a road trip this fall and it worked out perfectly for us to spend about a day and a half on the island and staying overnight at the GH.  I don't care if they put me in a broom closet, I want to be able to rock on that porch!  I'm looking for a little guidance as to what are the absolute "musts" while we're there.  We already have dinner and evening plans for the night we'll be there.  Aside from just walking or taking a carriage ride around town that day, I'd like to make the most of our time there.  I'm pretty sure we're going to take the boat ride to see the Pictured Rocks.  I can't stand bridges, but as long as we're there I almost think I have to suck it up and cross over to St. Ignace too.  

If you've been there, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance

Honored Contributor

Re: Mackinac Island, MI - Need Some Recs.

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch

The fudge shops, ice cream shops and Fort Mackinac. 

Do you AAA membership? They are very helpful also. 

Have a fantastic time.

Honored Contributor

Some nice shops down town. Didn't care for the fudge mine is better. Real thick and dry.  Grand Hotel is pretty on the outside. Dated on the inside. Guess maybe it's supposed to look like that, though.

Whole town stinks. Sorry, but, true. Everything is by horse and buggy and even though the horses wear bags . They P up and down the streets and people have the jobs of cleaning up after them. P runs into the street drains.

I'm glad I went, but, got tired of smelling horse manure. As we ate breakfast in the breakfast room, windows were open and didn't improve your appetite.

Esteemed Contributor

I live here. Well, south of the bridge, anyway.

After Labor Day the tourist season really dies out. There is the Mackinac Bridge Walk on Labor Day Weekend but it sounds like that may not be something enjoyable for you! The Mighty Mack is an engineering feat. The bridge spans The Straits for 5 miles. It's lit at night and really beautiful.

The only way to the island is by ferry. We take the jet express. 1/2 the time of the traditional ferry. Pack accordingly and tell the hotel you'd like baggage service so you're not lugging your bags to the hotel.

The Grand Hotel is a must stay. They serve a traditional afternoon tea that is a great experience. Jacket for dinner at the hotel is required. September can have truly chilly nites so jacket or heavy sweater is a must.

They say some of the rooms are haunted so that may be a plus or a minus in your view. The island itself is peaceful. No motorized vehicles. Get a horse drawn buggy tour of the island. You can rent a bicycle at many places to get around. Lots of quaint shops on the island and in Mackinaw City.

If you're in the mood for a fabulous burger & beer, Maggie's in Mackinaw City is great. Then there's the fudge! OMG, who doesnt love the great fudge shops?!

Pictured Rocks boat tour is spectacular. Their boat tour schedule is posted online. Take the sunset tour and a good camera! I'd recommend the Holiday Inn if you're going to stay in Munising. It's a spectacular drive from the bridge along the south shore of the UP. It's also quite remote so gas up in Mackinac City. A day trip to the boat tour might be better if the remote drive after dark doesn't suit you.

Regular Contributor

Go on the carriage tour of the town, really interesting.  Lots of cute shops.  You can rent bikes but there is horse ****** all over.

Frequent Contributor

It's a real pretty island.  My husband and i went to mackinac island in May. However, the smell of the island is not pleasant.  Plus, i really didn't like see the horse manure laying on the roads.  Not a good sight.  I will say that they do have people constantly cleaning up after the horses.....but it is a sight i would rather not see.

You can take a bike ride or a carriage ride thru the island.  There are a lot of good restaurnts on the island.  Other than that, all you really need is a day or two.

Also the movie Some Where in Time was filmed on the island.

Trusted Contributor

I highly recommend spending an afternoon at Fort Mackinac on the island.  It was founded in 1780.  Demonstrations and tours by costumed interpreters are scheduled throughout the day.

Fourteen buildings in the fort are restored and open to the public. They are furnished with period settings highlighting the building’s particular function or a themed exhibit

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch,

Oh, Ms. Finch, you are in for the time of your lives! After you park your car and arrive by ferry, do not expect to use Uber unless they've branched out to horse drawn carriages, too. Cars of any sort are prohibited from the Island. The Grand Hotel experience is worth every penny, IMHO. It has undergone a major renovation in recent years. Why don't you watch Somewhere In Time as a prequel to your stay? Such a bittersweet love story with Mackinac Island, and of course the GH, as backdrop. Jane Seymour has fond memories of filming there with Christopher Reeve, btw. 

If you are golfers, the GH has an excellent golf course. If the weather's hot during your stay, you can dip your tootsies into  Lake Huron at the waterfront along the foot of the Hotel. If you are history buffs, the Fort tours are interesting, too.

The fudge is to die for. The island employs college students on summer break,  who are very friendly & knowledgeable. The workers must attend a month long orientation at the beginning of tourist season. To be honest, I much preferred the island before it got so commercialized, and when it had authentic shops circa 1970's.

Enjoy your trip!

dee

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, good for you!!! I wish you sunny days for that trip. Take pictures.  It's one of our favorite areas to visit. You'll love it, I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

It's a nice town except for the horse manure.  Remember to get some fudge!