Esteemed Contributor

Re: LICENSE RENEWAL QUESTION

@mousiegirl  Your Dept. of Motor Vehicles should have an on-line site with all of the information you need. Each state is a little different. Good luck! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, I found the letter, and see now that I do have to go to the DMV to renew, but make an appointment online.  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Thank you, I found the letter, and see now that I do have to go to the DMV to renew, but make an appointment online.  

@mousiegirl, did you find out whether you have to take the written test? I just had to in order to renew here in California  -- actually I'm switching to the Real ID once I get a certified copy of my marriage license. It's weird, but if you have ever had a name change, you need that. I hope my city has licenses going back that far. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

They'd like you to START your renewal paperwork online.  The site also gave you a list of things to bring as proof of citizenship.  Fill it out,  print it out, gather your identifying papers from the ample list provided and bring it with you to register in person.  When I went, having my paperwork in hand, I didn't have to wait in line.  they glanced at my paperwork and just gave me a number and had me sit right down to await my turn.  It was less stressful then I imagined it would be.  Brought my stuff for paroozal and documentation, eye exam, glamour shot and done. The New "REAL" license, that's what they're calling it, will be required for travel without a passport.  The woman at the RMV said the next renewal can be done online. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl, did you find out whether you have to take the written test? I just had to in order to renew here in California  -- actually I'm switching to the Real ID once I get a certified copy of my marriage license. It's weird, but if you have ever had a name change, you need that. I hope my city has licenses going back that far. :-)

@suzyQ3   Yes, the letter says I should study the handbook.  I am more worried about the distance reading eye exam.  I don't drive at night, and in the day if I go anywhere I am not familiar with, rarely anymore, the signs are large enough to see, so find this test annoying.  DH failed his written test a few years ago, lol, so had to take it again.  The questions are tricky, most are common sense. 

Too bad an excellent driving record doesn't preclude having to be tested.  I may be given the option of a Real ID when I go, not that I will probably ever need it now, but one never knows.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

They'd like you to START your renewal paperwork online.  The site also gave you a list of things to bring as proof of citizenship.  Fill it out,  print it out, gather your identifying papers from the ample list provided and bring it with you to register in person.  When I went, having my paperwork in hand, I didn't have to wait in line.  they glanced at my paperwork and just gave me a number and had me sit right down to await my turn.  It was less stressful then I imagined it would be.  Brought my stuff for paroozal and documentation, eye exam, glamour shot and done. The New "REAL" license, that's what they're calling it, will be required for travel without a passport.  The woman at the RMV said the next renewal can be done online. 

@candys mine   Born and raised here in Cailfornia I would think I wouldn't need proof of citizenship, but the world is a strange place now.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@suzyQ3   Yes, the letter says I should study the handbook.  I am more worried about the distance reading eye exam.  I don't drive at night, and in the day if I go anywhere I am not familiar with, rarely anymore, the signs are large enough to see, so find this test annoying.  DH failed his written test a few years ago, lol, so had to take it again.  The questions are tricky, most are common sense. 

Too bad an excellent driving record doesn't preclude having to be tested.  I may be given the option of a Real ID when I go, not that I will probably ever need it now, but one never knows.

@mousiegirl   If you think you might want a Real ID you need to bring the documentation with you.  Look up online what that documentation is.  There are four separate things you need to bring and options for each.  I'm planning on getting one so have just gotten my documentation together.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl, do you have prescription glasses for your problem? If so, you should be fine. Otherwise, if you fail the eye test, then you should get your eyes checked.

Decide beforehand whether you want the Real ID and read up about it online so that you are prepared.

A piece of advice about the written test: While it's always a good idea to go through the handbook online, I found that taking the DMV's samples tests really helped.

Also, there is drivingtests.org. It's for-profit site, but they do have about four tests that they offer for free. I took those tests several times -- very helpful. Don't fall for the spiel about paying them money for any other tests.

Once you go through their tests, you may find that you aren't able to repeat them. I wanted to take them several times, so I found that deleting the cookies from that site allowed me to repeat the tests again and again by just continuing to delete the cookies after finishing the set of tests.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl, do you have prescription glasses for your problem? If so, you should be fine. Otherwise, if you fail the eye test, then you should get your eyes checked.

Decide beforehand whether you want the Real ID and read up about it online so that you are prepared.

A piece of advice about the written test: While it's always a good idea to go through the handbook online, I found that taking the DMV's samples tests really helped.

Also, there is drivingtests.org. It's for-profit site, but they do have about four tests that they offer for free. I took those tests several times -- very helpful. Don't fall for the spiel about paying them money for any other tests.

Once you go through their tests, you may find that you aren't able to repeat them. I wanted to take them several times, so I found that deleting the cookies from that site allowed me to repeat the tests again and again by just continuing to delete the cookies after finishing the set of tests.

@suzyQ3   My eyes are fine except for very fine print, and the eye test is far enough away that when I am to read the fine print, I can't unless I put on my readers.

I have been taking the online tests this afternoon, and will continue for a while off and on, have many months before I have to go in, but won't wait until the last minute.

I have also read about the Real ID so know what is expected, what a pain.  

I will look at the site you mentioned, worn out already, lol, hate tests.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl :  I don't know your age but just from your description, you need to get examined for possible cataracts.  The good news is that it you are at least 65 Medicare pays for exam, surgery and $150 towards a new pair of glasses.