Honored Contributor

Re: LICENSE RENEWAL QUESTION

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@viva923 wrote:

Mousie

my state has had the gold star for some time. I know we had to bring all kinds of paperwork into the DMV when we did that gold star change over. most of the paperwork was to prove we owned our house, paid utilities at the house with the address on the utility bill and such. know dh and i had to dig out our birth certificates when my state went from reg. to gold star change over.

most likely it is answering questions to make the renewal faster, more streamlined.

@viva923   I would have to buy a new birth certificate, have no clue where mine is, maybe packed away in my Mother's trunk which I havn't opened since she passed in the eighties, not going there.  The same with the SS number, I know mine, but a card is necessary, so probbly around $100 for the two.  I think I paid $50 for a birth certificate, took a copy but would not accept it, when DD needed an official ID for college since she didn't have a driver's license when she began.

Right now, I have to find low number readers, all I have tried don't work well, so I can read the tiny letters that are so far away at the DMV.  Even on the freeway, there is plenty of time to get close enough to a sign, further back, to read it, with the large print, so don't know why the DMV thinks it is necessary for a person to read such tiny print at such a distance, makes no sense to me.

@mousiegirl, I'm surprised that you don't have your SS card. It might be very much worth it to have it as well as a certified copy of your birth certificate. It is very easy to get both. I am awaiting my certified copy of our marriage license for my Real ID because my name changed when I married.

I'm not sure I understand your problem with the eye test at the DMV. The eye chart is not far away at all. It's right behind the desk at which you dealing with a representative.

And readers (I have a prescription for mine) are not for distance anyway.

@suzyQ3   Not all DMV offices are the same,  At my DMV, the chart is ridiculously far away, couldn't believe it, so this time, I am going to give them an earful.  

Well, the readers I was told to get are the same as the regular but a very low number.  The cheapies in my eye doctor's office are wonderful so will ask her where I can get those, want to be as prepared as possible for the DMV eye test, what a pain!

I see perfectly fine up close and at a distance, but tiny letters far away, who can read those, and who would need to, nobody except when at the DMV.

Okay, @mousiegirl . I must be missing something about reading glasses. Regardless, if you have any amount of abnormal trouble with small print at a distance, you should have glassses that correct that.

@suzyQ3   As I said, nothing wrong with my vision, I see my eye doctor every two years, so I don't need anything corrected, except the chart at the DMV, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

We went in and just handed over identification to get the new compliant license.  We brought our passports. I think we also brought in two bills with our name on it to verify residence.  It was easy and was given the new compliant license before we left.  STATE of Maryland.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@viva923 wrote:

Mousie

my state has had the gold star for some time. I know we had to bring all kinds of paperwork into the DMV when we did that gold star change over. most of the paperwork was to prove we owned our house, paid utilities at the house with the address on the utility bill and such. know dh and i had to dig out our birth certificates when my state went from reg. to gold star change over.

most likely it is answering questions to make the renewal faster, more streamlined.

@viva923   I would have to buy a new birth certificate, have no clue where mine is, maybe packed away in my Mother's trunk which I havn't opened since she passed in the eighties, not going there.  The same with the SS number, I know mine, but a card is necessary, so probbly around $100 for the two.  I think I paid $50 for a birth certificate, took a copy but would not accept it, when DD needed an official ID for college since she didn't have a driver's license when she began.

Right now, I have to find low number readers, all I have tried don't work well, so I can read the tiny letters that are so far away at the DMV.  Even on the freeway, there is plenty of time to get close enough to a sign, further back, to read it, with the large print, so don't know why the DMV thinks it is necessary for a person to read such tiny print at such a distance, makes no sense to me.

@mousiegirl   I just paid $29 to get my birth certificate from Vital Records.  You don't have to have your social security card  although there is no charge to get a new card.  There are other choices of things to bring.  Just Google "Real ID Requirements for your state."

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@viva923 wrote:

Mousie

@mousiegirl   I just paid $29 to get my birth certificate from Vital Records.  You don't have to have your social security card  although there is no charge to get a new card.  There are other choices of things to bring.  Just Google "Real ID Requirements for your state."

@NickNack   I have googled, and have read all that is required, and thanks for the Vital Records tip.

Honored Contributor

Mousie

going thru the same stuff as we did when we made the change.

had to send away for birth certificates. They have to have the raised seal of the state of birth, I did have my SS original card. 

Are you also to bring proof of living at that address, such at utility bill with your address on it. Know we had to bring several papers with us for this change over.