Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just Got A Strange Call

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

not even safe from scams in your own home. Go on vacation and they come after you with time share come ons. Branson, Missouri is horrible about hitting you up . will give you free show tickets if you'll listen to their sales spiel for hr or 2. drove us nuts.

Florida, is bad , also.

I got Call Blocker unit from HSN, takes care of my nuisance calls.

I signed up for Nomorobo awhile ago, and I never get calls like this anymore.  I can't remember the last time I was bothered by an unwanted phone call.  I highly recommend it!  

eta:  I just read all the posts, and see that this was already mentioned.  So consider it an additional endorsement!

Esteemed Contributor

Don't you wonder who is picking up the phone for all these unknown callers with their associated scams.  OBviously people are because the scam calls continue and if there were not people falling for these scams and getting taken the scammers would soon be out of business.  THe people who answer these calls must be living under a rock somewhere not to have heard about these rip off artists.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

not even safe from scams in your own home. Go on vacation and they come after you with time share come ons. Branson, Missouri is horrible about hitting you up . will give you free show tickets if you'll listen to their sales spiel for hr or 2. drove us nuts.

Florida, is bad , also.

I signed up for Nomorobo awhile ago, and I never get calls like this anymore.  I can't remember the last time I was bothered by an unwanted phone call.  I highly recommend it!  

eta:  I just read all the posts, and see that this was already mentioned.  So consider it an additional endorsement!

nomorerobo, is not available in a lot of areas, not mine in Tx. or when I lived in Ind. either

Valued Contributor

I signed up on nomorobo.com and that blocks most prerecorded calls. Your phone rings once but the number never shows up on your caller ID and that's the only time the phone rings. I still get scam calls, but this has cut down on them. They have started spoofing real numbers that belong to someone that doesn't know their number is being used to get around blocks. They also use numbers that aren't in service anymore. Those you can't block because they aren't valid numbers. I hang up on them so I don't know if they give you a number to call back.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

Don't you wonder who is picking up the phone for all these unknown callers with their associated scams.  OBviously people are because the scam calls continue and if there were not people falling for these scams and getting taken the scammers would soon be out of business.  THe people who answer these calls must be living under a rock somewhere not to have heard about these rip off artists.

The scammers tend to prey on the elderly; those who may have difficulty hearing or are easily confused.

The tactics, once they have someone on the hook, can be frightening.  It's easy to say just don't pick up the phone and that's fine for you and me and anyone else "wise" to these scams, but innocent people are bullied into believing they've agreed to something they didn't.

There are also people who've been featured on the news recently, who have their wits about them, but have said the calls sounded so realistic (the scam where the caller says they've kidnapped a grandchild or that the same has been in an accident or gotten in trouble and needs money) that they've nearly fallen for it.  Or sometimes have fallen for it only to realize they've been taken.

The blame isn't on the victim, it's on the scammer.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Florida, is bad , also.

nomorerobo, is not available in a lot of areas, not mine in Tx. or when I lived in Ind. either

Yes, I know it's not available everywhere.  But they're adding new areas all the time. It's free, and completely eliminated the problem for me.  So I think it's definitely worth checking out.

Esteemed Contributor

Mr.Re: Just Got A Strange Call

So many more calls than ever before so I checked my cell phone and looked for apps.  

First the Do Not Call List is practically worthless.  

Apps (cell)

1.  Mr. Number

2. Reverse Look up

I can use Mr. Number to block and both to identify to be sure. 

Comcast caller id has block feature now.  *60.  

I never pick up the phone.  I used to.. to play them and have fun but now they are picking out words and recording them.  Example :  I want to speak to the lady of the house, are you the lady of the house.  The word YES will get you in trouble.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I HAVE THIS PHONE FROM HSN. Use the block.

Respected Contributor

WOULD NEVER ANSWER!!!!!!

Super Contributor

I don't answer unfamiliar telephone numbers...I tend to block most of them..can't be bothered.