Respected Contributor

Re: It Seems Like You Get The Night Shift If:

Some get the "graveyard shift" because they are low on totem pole. Prime time hours generally to to hosts with most tenure. Or nice daytime hours. 

This is an addition to those specifically requesting them, of course. New babies, extra jobs, etc. For shopping television, many don't want overnight hours, because they have to work harder to sell.

On some channels, you can tell the top sellers from the newbies or those who aren't "a great fit." It's sort of like a demotion.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

No baby here, and I did't come back from vacation(though I can tell you how I got sc**wed while on vacation over 30 years later). 

I hired on working 4pm-Midnight in 1958. Seniority was the ruler when it came to shifts, BUTT! When I upgraded jobs I worked the Graveyard shift, BUTT, 2 of the guys working day shift had less seniority than I did.

At that time the ones on days pretty much had to die before there was a day opening. So for years I worked nights because with seniority you could not "bump" those with less time with the company. There was no future of me ever getting a day shift on that job, so I took a downgrade in jobs to increase my chances of getting on a day shift.

I went from a much easier, higher paying job, back to the job I started with, which everyone knew was the hardest physical job in all of that Western Electric Plant. By that time the Union Contract included what was called an "annual shift alignment policy".

Every September, every job handed out sheets to their workers, to fill out their preferences in shifts they wanted to work. Working at a lower grade I knew I would be at the top when jobs with an upgrade became available. So I took an upgraded job, which was a 4-Midnight job.

I took that job in early August knowing I had more seniority than any night shift workers, even more than half of the 25 operators already working day shift. Come September and shift alignment, I chose 8am- 4pm shift. Thus almost 14 years after my starting date, I finally had my own day shift job.

Many of the workers that got "bumped" onto night shifts were not happy. To me, if job shifts are based on seniority, why did I have to work night shifts, while those with much less seniority had the luxury of working days? I did that for almost 10 years, and 1 of the guys on days just loved to rub it in, that even though he had less seniority, I was the one working nights.

How's that for my true life story of how and why, a single guy like myself, would be have much of my social life greatly reduced because of working nights for so many years. I did however make the most of my partying weekends.

THE END.    YEA!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

JavaQueen wrote:

Some get the "graveyard shift" because they are low on totem pole. Prime time hours generally to to hosts with most tenure. Or nice daytime hours. 

This is an addition to those specifically requesting them, of course. New babies, extra jobs, etc. For shopping television, many don't want overnight hours, because they have to work harder to sell.

On some channels, you can tell the top sellers from the newbies or those who aren't "a great fit." It's sort of like a demotion.

I agree, @JavaQueen.   In addition, when I see threads like this one I have a feeling many posters don't watch the QVC Plus channel.    Some of the hosts are more involved in the live and taped programming there, so we see them less on QVC Live.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@JavaQueen wrote:

I agree, @JavaQueen.   In addition, when I see threads like this one I have a feeling many posters don't watch the QVC Plus channel.    Some of the hosts are more involved in the live and taped programming there, so we see them less on QVC Live.

Some of them, like Courtney, are live on Q+ a few times a week which would be why we don't see them as much on the main channel.  But the taped programs that are shown on Q+ are shown live first on QVC so  I don't understand how a host could be more involved with taped programming on Q+. 

When you think about it, QVC has a lot of hosts.  And the progamming on Q+ is more taped than live so it stands to reason some of the hosts aren't going to work a lot of hours. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@JavaQueen wrote:

Some of them, like Courtney, are live on Q+ a few times a week which would be why we don't see them as much on the main channel.  But the taped programs that are shown on Q+ are shown live first on QVC so  I don't understand how a host could be more involved with taped programming on Q+. 

When you think about it, QVC has a lot of hosts.  And the progamming on Q+ is more taped than live so it stands to reason some of the hosts aren't going to work a lot of hours. 

I've read on other threads that not all of the taped shows on QVC Plus are repeats from the regular station.    I haven't watched QVC Plus that much, and frankly QVC Live isn't interesting to me now other than occasional viewing.    They do have to figured into the mix things like the time the hosts spend on prep, makeup, meetings, voice-overs, creating videos and content for their blogs and Facebook (or helping their social media assistants do that), etc.    As an example, I've heard (on early-morning shows) remarks about arriving there at 3 a.m. when the show started at 6 or 7 a.m., and I don't think that's unusual.   (But what do I know?)    They do have a lot of hosts, yet they do have to cover for vacation, illness, personal family concerns, etc.   That makes me a little curious to know if anyone has ever read a host blog that explains what goes into their workday for the Q.    It's certainly more than the time we see on-air, but I'm no expert on how it all works.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@sparklestar Yes I watch very often.  I use it for background noise.  I still live in the house my late husband and I raised three girls.  There are a lot of rooms and I don't work.  I keep some of the TV's on because I don't like the silence.  My late husband had Tinius (ringing in ears) so we had white noise, I guess I'm used to it.  Again, yes I watch QVC a lot.

I have never seen QVC plus.  I often fall asleep with the TV on at night (it's over my bed), so when I wake up in pain during the night, I will watch some of it.  I've probably watched way more of QVC and different times and hours than others (certainly not bragging about something like that, just saying so you can understand I do notice a pattern).

I enjoy in particular Mary (who works over night) and Elise (I can't find anything on her) not sure how to spell her name.  She is lovely and works in the middle of the night.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your responses.  Like I said, I keep QVC on a good part of the day on one of my TV's in one of my rooms (background noise).   I see various hosts that probably others don't see at say  3:00AM - 4:00AM and so on.  I might wake up and I'll go back to sleep.

Some I don't care to watch so I do what I'm always saying, I change the channel.

It's not a big deal, I'd just noticed that there was a time when Sandra worked earlier hours.  Then I've heard her talk about her vacation and coming back through customs, etc.  They are able to chat more in the late evening hours.  

I wasn't attacking or had an ulterior motive, I was just curious.

Again, thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

I've read on other threads that not all of the taped shows on QVC Plus are repeats from the regular station.    I haven't watched QVC Plus that much, and frankly QVC Live isn't interesting to me now other than occasional viewing.    They do have to figured into the mix things like the time the hosts spend on prep, makeup, meetings, voice-overs, creating videos and content for their blogs and Facebook (or helping their social media assistants do that), etc.    As an example, I've heard (on early-morning shows) remarks about arriving there at 3 a.m. when the show started at 6 or 7 a.m., and I don't think that's unusual.   (But what do I know?)    They do have a lot of hosts, yet they do have to cover for vacation, illness, personal family concerns, etc.   That makes me a little curious to know if anyone has ever read a host blog that explains what goes into their workday for the Q.    It's certainly more than the time we see on-air, but I'm no expert on how it all works.

Interesting.  It would not occur to me that QVC is taping shows just to show the tapes on Q+. I know some of the taped programming is old. It's not necessarily from earlier in the day on QVC.   Fairly recently I flipped over to Q+ and it was a taped show of Jill selling Serta mattresses.  I remember that live show on QVC and it was weeks prior.  

I too have heard a number of hosts state that they have to arrive at QVC 3 hours in advance of their show. They have to meet with the show planner, producer, on air guests/vendors and get their hair and make-up done (or do it themself) and get dressed. 

As an aside, Sandra was live on Q+ last night for several hours followed by Alberti live. Then they switched back over to taped programming from earlier in the day on QVC.