Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with the Patch news either.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Esteemed Contributor

There's reporting, there's breaking 'news', entertainment amusement passed off as news, and then there's journalism.

I don't need to know all the details of accidents or killings - that is for the authorities and the families of those involved. Also, it affords a person some dignity in their passing as to all the gory details being made public.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Contributor
On 12/26/2014 AnikaBrodie said:

Many in the media want to get the news story out first before other sources report it. In doing so they don't check their facts and either report misleading or inaccurate or incomplete information and then have no follow-up. It's aggravating to say the least.

We just had a RARE reporting of a road rage incident in our small town that happened on Christmas morning with no update(s) on today's news.

Yes, it appears "first" is all that matters. Facts are secondary. I recently watched a major news story unfold and the news was a rehash of someone else's bad reports. In that experience I learned we really only hear about 25% knowledge... the rest is filler. If that.
Honored Contributor
On 12/26/2014 YorkieonmyPillow said:

The local TV station here refuses to reveal the race of a suspect. They said it was their "policy" not to mention race----- even when there was a armed bank robbery with the suspect still at large.

PC gone mad. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

It used to be that race was only mentioned when it was a person who was not Caucasian.

It made it sound like all the perps were non-white, which was obviously not true.

You may see it as PC when in fact it stops the racial profiling of old. If it bothers you, tell your stations to report the ethnic heritage of everyone, including white people.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I think it's most probably a time issue. They only have so much time to devote to a story, so it's cut to the bare bones.

Part of that seems to be because so much time is now devoted to sports and weather, at least that's the way it is in my area.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Valued Contributor

Nevermind, noticed they are in different burbs here..

Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Respected Contributor

The local TV station here refuses to reveal the race of a suspect. They said it was their "policy" not to mention race----- even when there was a armed bank robbery with the suspect still at large.

I've been asked a few times to give the race of a suspect to a police officer and it made me uncomfortable because when a witness is asked this, it's always their bias speaking...who they think it is instead of who it actually is. The first time I was asked I was around 18 years old and blurted out a race and immediately knew I was incorrect when I heard myself speak. It was then that I realized what was going on and I made the correction right away to the police. So, imo...it's okay to say what the color of someone's skin is when asked, without saying what race you think they are. Skin color is not necessarily an indicator of race.

Respected Contributor
On 12/28/2014 Ilikeshade said:

I've been asked a few times to give the race of a suspect to a police officer and it made me uncomfortable because when a witness is asked this, it's always their bias speaking...who they think it is instead of who it actually is. The first time I was asked I was around 18 years old and blurted out a race and immediately knew I was incorrect when I heard myself speak. It was then that I realized what was going on and I made the correction right away to the police. So, imo...it's okay to say what the color of someone's skin is when asked, without saying what race you think they are. Skin color is not necessarily an indicator of race.

I guess it's possible that a witness could be not accurate on race.

But there's a heck of a lot of difference in whether the person is very light in color or dark. Even an opinion has some merit.

In the example I gave, saying the armed robbers were a man and a woman was not helpful. If you gave a more thorough description, seeing a man and a woman in a 7-11 parking lot would cause me to look better if I could distinguish something about them. Also, that is not a common description in armed robberies. It also helps the public to protect themselves if THEY are in a parking lot. I might decide to stay in my car if I saw a couple like that described in the news report. Otherwise, you might find yourself in the middle of a robbery.

Another story recently had a surveillance video PHOTO of the armed robber. He has robbed banks that are located inside grocery stores. Some people have called "profiling" a dirty word. No, it's good common sense.

The public can be helpful in pointing law enforcement to criminals, and in some cases, we should have information to protect ourselves from them.

Hyacinth