Honored Contributor

Re: I've Decided that You Can't

There are posters who have strong opinions on some topics that I have strong opposing opinions. We disagree but are respectful and sometimes we do agree. Their posts are well written, their opinions as valid as mine. I wouldn't enjoy a BB where everyone agrees, that would be boring. 

I have been insulted, dismissed, and called names from time to time here. Posters have disappointed me; I had thought they were better than that, but my feelings have never been hurt.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, you CAN still post something nice.

However, if it involves a public personality, actor, talk show host, former talk show hosts, former home shopping hosts or Duchesses, it's bound to get disruptive!

Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Tribalism appears to rule the day on many threads. 

Tribalism seems the way of the world in general and people personally have difficulty not getting caught up in it.  I noticed the term "select few" used to deliniate a "tribe" of posters here as if there is such a differentiated group.  We come here separately with no connection from any other. Logically, we know that but emotionally some think in tribal terms on levels that permeate just about every aspect of life these days.

Class consciousness plays a part, toss in some pretentiousness, some fear, and a thread is off to the races. These tendencies are creating deep social divides at this time in our history, to some it's a matter of social survival even on lowest levels.. 

Esteemed Contributor

Using the word tribalism is insulting.  I understand what someone is trying to say.

Super Contributor

I enjoy a lively discussion with differing opinions. So much can be learned when you open your heart and your mind to thoughts, ideas and yes, even opinions that differ from your own, BUT.... is it really so difficult to present your own opinions in a respectful way? Is it possible that the feeling of discomfort when being presented with opposing views masks insecurity regarding one’s own thoughts, ideas, and opinions? Maybe that is what leads to the bullying type responses that send the threads off the rails. Just a thought, not blaming any poster for anything.

Hugs . . .Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Using the word tribalism is insulting.  I understand what someone is trying to say.

What's insulting about it?

It isn't insulting to me.

I think you are reading things into the post that aren't there and then getting offended......hence the thread.....

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The issue with that thread and others like it is that often the OP expects everyone to agree with their attitude and tone toward the subject.  However, it doesn't work that way.  Real life doesn't work that way and neither do internet forums.  When one starts a topic one must be prepared to read opinions contrary to yours.  Brace yourself in advance, and it won't be that bad.

I was the OP and didn't have any issue or use any snark with anyone who chose to not wish M&J well. I simply made the announcement of their marriage and gushed over the dress. Whoever doesn't like them doesn't have to change their mind on my say - so. Viva la difference.

Honored Contributor

@Free2bevery interesting perspective.I wanted to say that your post gave me a new insight to what’s going wrong in the world...something to think about.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The issue with that thread and others like it is that often the OP expects everyone to agree with their attitude and tone toward the subject.  However, it doesn't work that way.  Real life doesn't work that way and neither do internet forums.  When one starts a topic one must be prepared to read opinions contrary to yours.  Brace yourself in advance, and it won't be that bad.

THIS!!!!

And when you don't agree with the OP on a particular subject, then the pearl clutching and "you're mean, you're mean!!!!" nonsense starts flying. Quite frankly, I've had enough. There's just really nothing here that interests me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

THIS!!!!

And when you don't agree with the OP on a particular subject, then the pearl clutching and "you're mean, you're mean!!!!" nonsense starts flying. Quite frankly, I've had enough. There's just really nothing here that interests me. 

Except that's NOT what happened on the thread in question.