Respected Contributor

Re: I've Decided that You Can't

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I see lots of nice posts and nice responses here every day, including all the responses you've gotten here.

Don't let a few people who disagree with you derail your day. 

@Alison Wonderland   It's not a matter of someone disagreeing with me as you stated...   I posted this because of a thread I was reading and eventually commented on this afternoon when someone had a question --  I answered the question... 

In reading the entire thread I noticed how some posters turned it into something political instead of the original intent of the post, which had nothing at all to do with politics.  And then some started taking jabs at other posters who had a different opinion.

BTW, I was not the originator of the post.

@KatieB, can you provide a link or a subject line to the thread that prompted this one? Otherwise, the complaint is so vague as to be useless.

I don't mean that to be harsh, but I can't tell you how many times I've read a thread like this one only to then find out that it is just one perspective.

If we can read the other thread, we could then post educated replies rather than the catchall ones about some people are nice and some aren't, etc., etc.

@suzyQ3Suzy it was the weekend wedding of M & J.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

I see lots of nice posts and nice responses here every day, including all the responses you've gotten here.

Don't let a few people who disagree with you derail your day. 

@Alison Wonderland   It's not a matter of someone disagreeing with me as you stated...   I posted this because of a thread I was reading and eventually commented on this afternoon when someone had a question --  I answered the question... 

In reading the entire thread I noticed how some posters turned it into something political instead of the original intent of the post, which had nothing at all to do with politics.  And then some started taking jabs at other posters who had a different opinion.

BTW, I was not the originator of the post.

@KatieB, can you provide a link or a subject line to the thread that prompted this one? Otherwise, the complaint is so vague as to be useless.

I don't mean that to be harsh, but I can't tell you how many times I've read a thread like this one only to then find out that it is just one perspective.

If we can read the other thread, we could then post educated replies rather than the catchall ones about some people are nice and some aren't, etc., etc.

@suzyQ3Suzy it was the weekend wedding of M & J.

@Mersha, thank you. I read it earlier and posted one reply. There were indeed some snarky remarks and a whole bunch by one poster who seemed to be inflamed. :-)

It was annoying but almost tame compared to some threads I've seen. Moderation is much better these days.

In any case, I'm afraid my opinion of threads like the one that we are on here is that they don't serve the purpose that I imagine the OP had for starting it. This kind of navel gazing, in fact, can exacerbate divisions and old feuds and hurt feelings.

Best to understand the nature of message boards and decide whether it's something that you can enjoy.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha, and when polarizing folks are posted about, one has to expect the post will go South and have differing POVs - and not all of them kind. I stay a mile away from posts folks have to know will be politically controversial.

Esteemed Contributor

I refuse to allow anyone to ruin my day because of their nasty, rude remarks.  I tell myself.  And then someone says something nasty, rude, insulting, and my feelings are hurt and it ruined my day.  Sigh.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

@jeanlake wrote:

Agree. Keep posting. Don't let anyone chase you away. Some people like to fuss and they bring bad energy with them. And I'm not talking about people who merely disagree or have different opinions. I'm talking about people looking for a fight - for whatever broken reason. Seriously, they can't touch you. Just shake your head and move along.  

I agree. Some people just like to complain all the time, and some people find it easier to be unkind to people they don't know and don't have to talk to face to face. I do agree with having a difference of opinion, but we can be nice about it.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Could be that some people just don't know what nice is?  

I've never posted a topic that didn't have some people being nasty in their responses.

Guess we need to just take the good from the topic and leave the rest.

Esteemed Contributor

First of all NICE is important.  I thrive on NICE and this last year I have been a victim of NOTNICE.  I posted twice about it and one person actually looked back at all my posts and got mad at me for being upset since "I already posted."  I guess you would say I was just trying to get some support to get me through it and yes, I might have repeated myself.  Perhaps people have nothing better to do and I wonder if any of us were face to face if this baiting would continue to happen.  Something about being anonymous.  

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma@The thing that I always told my son and taught myself to believe...it is my choice how I will feel about anything...I can choose to be happy,mad,sad,insulted ...choice is is mine.I choose to not let someone else’s words ruin my day and I just wouldn’t consider giving them that much power over my feelings.You remember that misery loves company but I don’t enjoy that misery feeling,so I just move on and misery is gone.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't get my feelings hurt here - I don't take it that seriously - but I do find it mildly annoying when posters appoint themselves the unannounced board moderators and lecture people as to the quality or merit of their thread - if you don't like it, scroll on and let others do the same instead of spamming the thread with your retorts - stop trying to control other people and what they want to chat about it's not that serious!  😜

Esteemed Contributor

The issue with that thread and others like it is that often the OP expects everyone to agree with their attitude and tone toward the subject.  However, it doesn't work that way.  Real life doesn't work that way and neither do internet forums.  When one starts a topic one must be prepared to read opinions contrary to yours.  Brace yourself in advance, and it won't be that bad.