Honored Contributor

Re: I saved $45.13 cents in coupons at the grocery store today. Would you like to share your best tally?

On 1/23/2014 nunya said:
On 1/22/2014 croemer said:
On 1/22/2014 september said: Today I learned how much the Safeway loyalty card saves me/trip. It was a light shopping day for me, and I ran my card and my debit card through the machine. My purchases totaled about $50. Then the cashier told me my Safeway card hadn't given me the discounts, and she asked for it, and ran it through manually. She gave me back more than $15 in cash! Nice...I'm glad she caught that, because I was in a rush and might have missed it.

Wow..that had to be a pleasant surprise september.

gazelle I remember you are the one who is totally healthy...good for you.

Cakers...I remember the day of double coupons here but our grocery stores no longer offer it. Sure wish they did.

My local store offers double coupons up to $1.00. I used to shop there all the time, but have noticed the prices are now really high. Example: 6 dollars for a 3lb bag of cat food. Even if I used a double coupon, it's still cheaper to buy elsewhere with that same coupon.

And did you notice there are a lot of coupons now that don't double? I am a Giant Eagle shopper and they offer double coupons up to $1.00 as well. Besides the coupons that state right on them "Do Not Double", some of these coupons now have a code in them that won't allow them to double. You don't know that until they don't double when they are run through. The checkout cashiers told me that when I inquired as to why some of my coupons weren't doubling.

Some of the stuff I was only buying because I thought the coupon doubled.

Honored Contributor

Re: I saved $45.13 cents in coupons at the grocery store today. Would you like to share your best tally?

On 1/23/2014 terrier3 said:

I got a free mug at Penzey's...does that count?

Why...sure...why not?

sgraham...awesome.

Lipstickdiva...sense our stores do not double coupons and did not know they now have codes that make that impossible...hmm?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 1/23/2014 Predsfan said:

I cut coupons every week and I forget them every week. DH does the weekly shopping and he forgets to use them, too. He shops Kroger and I hit Publix. We do pretty good on the sale items that way. Our neighbors live for coupons. They even buy gift cards to Bass Pro and resturants from Krogers so that they can up their Kroger point rewards, then go shopping or out to eat with their gift cards. They use their Kroger points for gas and swear they save a lot of money doing it this way.

Predsfan, yes those gas points help a lot. Also, are you signed up for the Kroger digital coupons? In your email then they will send you a whole list of things you can "click" on and then it is added to your card so you get that discount when you check out and you don't have to carry coupons around. They also have extra specials sometimes and email you about it and you can add that to your card.

Respected Contributor

On 1/23/2014 LipstickDiva said:
On 1/23/2014 nunya said:
On 1/22/2014 croemer said:
On 1/22/2014 september said: Today I learned how much the Safeway loyalty card saves me/trip. It was a light shopping day for me, and I ran my card and my debit card through the machine. My purchases totaled about $50. Then the cashier told me my Safeway card hadn't given me the discounts, and she asked for it, and ran it through manually. She gave me back more than $15 in cash! Nice...I'm glad she caught that, because I was in a rush and might have missed it.

Wow..that had to be a pleasant surprise september.

gazelle I remember you are the one who is totally healthy...good for you.

Cakers...I remember the day of double coupons here but our grocery stores no longer offer it. Sure wish they did.

My local store offers double coupons up to $1.00. I used to shop there all the time, but have noticed the prices are now really high. Example: 6 dollars for a 3lb bag of cat food. Even if I used a double coupon, it's still cheaper to buy elsewhere with that same coupon.

And did you notice there are a lot of coupons now that don't double? I am a Giant Eagle shopper and they offer double coupons up to $1.00 as well. Besides the coupons that state right on them "Do Not Double", some of these coupons now have a code in them that won't allow them to double. You don't know that until they don't double when they are run through. The checkout cashiers told me that when I inquired as to why some of my coupons weren't doubling.

Some of the stuff I was only buying because I thought the coupon doubled.

My local Giant Eagle only doubles to .99

I only recently found out they took other store coupons when I was behind a woman who used 4- $10 off coupons from another store. I asked about it and they said as of this month they are no longer taking them. Figures. lol

Esteemed Contributor

Publix honors Winn-Dixie coupons and matches prices with WD too.

Honored Contributor

You are wise shoppers. I either forget the coupons or they are expired. I think I will try to do better.

Esteemed Contributor

The best I ever did was at CVS using regular extra bucks, 25% off coupon, quarterly extra bucks, my extra care card, CVS store coupons, and regular coupons. The total was $75 and I paid about $15. I was so stoked about that. I kept making my husband look at the receipt, LOL. At the grocery store, my best was $65 on $250. I usually save $20-35 so I was happy with that one too. I'm not an extreme couponer, per se, but I do like to use them and take advantage for things I am going to buy anyway.

Valued Contributor

I have saved over $80 with coupons (doubling buying only what is on sale combined with a coupon and using a store card). However, I also spent a lot that day.

It's sometimes more accurate to keep track of savings by watching the percentage saved. It's not unusual for me to save almost 20% by using coupons.