Valued Contributor

Re: I Have A Mouse In My House

@Shorty2U We live in the country on a lot of acreage surrounded by trees.  The fields have all been combined so there's plenty of food for the critters.  My big "organic" trap weighs around 17 pounds and the little "organic" one is around 10 pounds.  Every mouse or mole in the surrounding townships know they are perfectly safe coming here.  Big girl is afraid of her own shadow, but little girl will bring me a live mouse that she has played with but is not dead.  The house is mined with D-Con but occasionally a mouse will show up.  It might sound goofy, but I'm much more afraid of anything that can fly at me than a mouse or snake.

Honored Contributor

OP here, I came up empty from last night. I did see him this morning! Are mice smart, why isn't he going for the traps?

Respected Contributor

Image result for best mouse catcher silky terrier

The BEST solution....mine is the top row second from the right....Silky Terriers. Mouse catchin' machines!

Regular Contributor

I agree about mice in the house being a big ICK!  However, I draw the line at putting poison outside.  Yes, the mice will eat it and die but so will any other animal who comes around to eat the mouse.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 If you saw it keep the traps out. I slather them with peanut butter as bait. What are you using?
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Jordan2If you saw it keep the traps out. I slather them with peanut butter as bait. What are you using?

I used peanut butter. I find it you put too much in the trap, the little buggers eat the peanut butter without setting off the trap. I know some people think I'm overreacting, the mouse is probably just as afraid of me, but I really can't take it!

Respected Contributor

We have a service. Where there's one there's bound to be others and you wouldn't believe how tiny a hole they need to enter your house. Our service guy said they follow water lines and sure enough found a tiny space in the floor where the water lines run to my icemaker. He also told us that mice are blind, but urinate as they move around to create a scent path back to their nest. Ugh. Get the service, we haven't had a mouse in a year. Knock wood.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 you are right about them just eating the peanut butter if you use too much. Stay with it -- they will end up getting trapped.
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   You are probably going to need to get a pest control service to set out poison inside your house.  They will also need to find the way the mouse is entering the house.  When I saw a mouse, the pest control company found the teeniest hold that I would never have found and filled it.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Okay, so now I think this mouse is taunting me, I saw him again today! He must be a Mensa member as he is not going for the traps!