Trusted Contributor

How much do you pay a sleepover dog sitter?

We have two older Dalmatians 10 & 11. When we go away we've had the son of a neighbor (now 25) who lives at home sleep at the house, feed them, and give them some attention. That's all we've asked him to do. We stock the fridge with his favorites, hand him the remote, and we figure he'd be glad to get away from his parents for a few nights. No walking the dogs necessary (we have a fenced in yard and doggie doors), no picking up poops (the yard is big enough it can wait) and the food is already in individual bags for each day because we have to add medicine for one of them. We call in every day or two to see how he and they are doing. We usually pay at least $25/day. We are going away again and asked if he would be willing to help us. To my surprise, he said he didn't think he had been adequately compensated because he was sacrificing his free time, and didn't like being "micromanaged" (I guess that means calling to see how things are). He said he would do it for $30/day. I'm not objecting to the $, just the way he went about it and kind of offended. And honestly, it's easy money, pretty light work, just peace of mind for us. The last time we put them in a kennel, they both almost died from the kennel cough they caught, so that's not an option. Maybe he's just outgrown the gig, but again, he's still living with his parents. What would you do? And how much do you think is reasonable to pay a sleepover dog sitter (not expected to be there all day)?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much do you pay a sleepover dog sitter?

If he's doing a good job and it's peace of mind for you when traveling, then the $30 is worth it. That's what about we paid. Edited to add: we live in a rural area/small community -- it may be more in urban areas.

As to the "micromanaging," I'd make it clear that you're paying and that the check-ins will continue, period. If it offends him, it's time for a new sitter.

Trusted Contributor

I think $30 is cheap. I would expect to pay at least $50-$75 per night. Dog walkers in our area charge $15 for a 30 minute visit to the house to walk the dog and feed them.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

Our dog walkers charge $20.00 for a 30 minute visit per dog. It includes two walks...once when they arrive (mostly for elimination) and once at the end of their visit ( a longer walk). They will play with the pup, feed the pup (food already prepared and ready to go) and pick up waste from the pup while walking.

Overnight starts at 75.00 and goes up from there.

I would pay him what he is asking just for the peace of mind.

I would make it clear, you are going to continue to check in for your peace of mind.

I am in northwestern Jersey.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

The money isn't the issue, I guess I just didn't like his attitude, he sounded like it was an imposition because it was taking up his valuable free time - single, 25 and living at home? All he's doing is feeding them twice a day what's already prepared - emptying a baggie into a bowl - changing water, spending the night and giving them some attention. No walking, etc. And eating the snacks we buy for him, and spending a few nights away from his parents. Not exactly tough duty. If I was his age, I would welcome that opportunity! We didn't ask him to spend every minute there! There is the peace of mind factor for sure, but I'm leaning towards finding someone new the more I think about it.
Trusted Contributor

The money isn't the issue, I guess I just didn't like his attitude, he sounded like it was an imposition because it was taking up his valuable free time - single, 25 and living at home? All he's doing is feeding them twice a day what's already prepared - emptying a baggie into a bowl - changing water, spending the night and giving them some attention. No walking, etc. And eating the snacks we buy for him, and spending a few nights away from his parents. Not exactly tough duty. If I was his age, I would welcome that opportunity! We didn't ask him to spend every minute there! There is the peace of mind factor for sure, but I'm leaning towards finding someone new the more I think about it.
Respected Contributor

Personally I wouldn't want him back with that attitude.

I use to pet sit for several friends and it was usually for 7-10 days. I always brought their dogs over to my house just because it was easier for me. One lady had 2 cats too so I still had to go down and feed the cats but I kept the dog at my house. I always had them pay me what they felt like and it was usually 150.00 and up. I could have gotten more but it was not that much trouble to add one more dog to my three. I can't stand for a pet to be in a kennel. I know I couldn't do it.

It does cost a lot for a pet sitter these days and I would pay that but I would feel better having someone I know.

I think you are going to have to pay more and try to find someone else plus the fact that you have two dogs. You don't want someone with a crummy attitude over there. If it were me I would be checking in too.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't like the attitude either. we have several people within my circle of friends who do this. most of us, don't pay. well stocked fridge, sometimes a gift card for the grocery store, gas money (depending where you live) last time I requested dinner and a movie for compensation. if I was going to pay, what you are giving seems pretty generous to me.

you might want to check out your options before kicking this guy to the curb. with his attitude, is he snooping around your house and stuff? maybe pocketing some "extras"?

Contributor

I have 5 senior dogs, 4 are here on the nights I am gone. My doggie sitter gets $100/night. Worth every cent.
Esteemed Contributor

To be completely honest $25 or even $30 is dirt cheap. To me your post comes across as if you think you are doing him a favor, when in fact it is just the opposite. I can only assume that you expect him to be there at specific times of the day for feedings and to be in for the night at a certain time. Not sure how you feel about him having friends in your home. All the young people I know value their time and friends. Being tied down to a schedule is a job, perhaps he feels that you are taking advantage of him. I would suggest having an honest discussion with him about what he feels would be fair and what you are comfortable. He has done this for you many times in the past and you believe you can trust him. You need to treat him as an adult not a kid with nothing else to do,

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.