Honored Contributor

Re: How many items a week do you iron?

I've had my ironing board for at least 20 years but my iron that I rarely use is slightly younger. I don't iron my clothes but I I will bring out the ironing board and iron for table cloths, napkins and curtains. Otherwise I use my Joy steamer which is great.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Zero.  I can't tell you when I last used that iron.  I find that my cotton button down shirts don't even need ironing if I take them out of the dryer, smooth them with my hands and then hang them in the closet.  Modern fabrics just don't require ironing.  

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

For me, it’s only 2-3 things/week.  I’ll be relocating in the near future and will discard my 30+ year old, rusty ironing board before then.

I’ve seen some more compact ironing boards that might be an okay replacement for once I get resettled.  What do other infrequent ironers use?

Oh Goodness @september I probably would need operating instructions if someone gave me an iron Smiley Surprised. I don't remember the last time I ironed a piece of clothing...Thank goodness for knits, hand held steamers and the same feature on the dryer.

Honored Contributor

I might have to give Joy’s steamer another chance.

of course, if I’m temporarily without an ironing board of some type.....using a bed or throwing a towel over the dining room table is an option.  

Respected Contributor

@september wrote:

I might have to give Joy’s steamer another chance.

of course, if I’m temporarily without an ironing board of some type.....using a bed or throwing a towel over the dining room table is an option.  

@september I have two of Joy's steamers....a mini steamer for traveling and a larger one for the home.

Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

I iron most everything I wear, except for my Liquid Knit items. I’d say anywhere from 5 - 10 items a week. I do it all at once, on Saturdays when I’m doing housework & laundry. I’ve always been an ironer & enjoy it. I like the look of ironed clothes.

I agree, ironed clothes make you look neat and put together. Not all items can come out of the dryer wrinkle free. Luckily, i have a built in ironing board, folds down from the wall. I think older houses had them back then when everyone would iron everything. 

Esteemed Contributor

Never!  I think I tried it once in my 50 plus years of marriage.  

Respected Contributor

I keep a spray bottle of water in my closet. A quick misting over wrinkled areas, smooth it with my hand and wrinkles are gone. I will do this with jeans/shirts worn once but still clean. If I need to wear something right away that is wrinkled, I toss it in the dryer with a damp hand towel.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a housekeeper growing up who kept our clothing looking like it just came from the dry cleaners. She taught me to iron very well before I married! I've been ironing weekly for 50 years (married in March 1969). I still wear 100% cotton blouses and they are ironed to perfection. My silk blouses (and wools) are taken to the cleaners, as always. Like another poster, I love to iron napkins and placemats. Sheets are washed at home, but pressed at the dry cleaners. I do iron my pillow cases. Have to admit that jeans are no longer ironed!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I only use cotton damask napkins in my home. I always iron them. Easy.

I occasionally will iron pillowcases and a few 100% cotton or linen summer clothing items.

Can't remember the last time I used my steamer.