Honored Contributor

I like the heart feature as well, but the @ sign is just tacky, seen some posters use @@@@, all over the place, too lazy to post a name!Smiley LOL  The only time I have used the @ is when I forget the poster's name!

Valued Contributor

Hi hooty!  I'm not sure if you know this, but when you @ someone's name, it shows in their notifications.  I love this feature because half the time I don't know where I am, let alone which threads I posted to.  Woman LOL 

Honored Contributor

@handygal2

Sorry I don't see any ❤️ Icon near "post".   I see "quote" top right and other icons but no ❤️.

but thanks again for taking the time to tell me where to look, I'll keep checking. 

Heres a ❤️ For you!

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@handygal2

Sorry I don't see any ❤️ Icon near "post".   I see "quote" top right and other icons but no ❤️.

but thanks again for taking the time to tell me where to look, I'll keep checking. 

Heres a ❤️ For you!

@homedecor1, the heart isn't in the post function, it sits just left of REPLY on the posts you are reading. Like someone else mentioned, you might have to activate Hearts in your settings.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@I like the heart feature as well, but the @ sign is just tacky, seen some posters use @@@@, all over the place, too lazy to post a name!Smiley LOL  The only time I have used the @ is when I forget the poster's name!

Hi, @Hooty!  SmileyIt has nothing to do with being "lazy."  If you use the "@" and choose the person's name from the pop-up menu it generates a hyperlink to their profile and also a notification for them.  It's a way of letting them know they were mentioned so they can look at their Notification Feed the next time they sign in, click the link there, and respond to the post/thread.  If you're familiar with the way Facebook works, it's the same as mentioning a friend's name there and creating a notification.  It's also a great substitute for the "shout-outs" we sometimes try here because with the "@name" we know the poster will be aware we're trying to contact them.

It's a very handy feature and allows more continuity to a thread in many cases.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@handygal2

Heres a ❤️ For you!

@homedecor1,  You don't see the hearts when you're responding to a post (when you see the "Quote" and icons), you only see them when you're reading a post.

I think you've disabled the "Hearts" feature.  Did you try what I suggested in an earlier post:

If you're using the "Full" (desktop) Safari version of the site you should be able to see and use the heart fuction on every post.

Have you looked at your Settings?  Under "Preferences," then "Hearts," be sure you have not checked the box next to "Hide Hearts buttons and counts."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I just hearted everone on this thread!!!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't even know where to find the @ sign.  When I wish to address someone I always call them by name with a 'Ms' before it.  I just think it's more proper to address a fellow poster by name, and it's more friendly.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@I don't even know where to find the @ sign.  When I wish to address someone I always call them by name with a 'Ms' before it.  I just think it's more proper to address a fellow poster by name, and it's more friendly.

@PINKdogWOOD@, I put the @ sign in front of your name to send you a notification, as described by another poster. This way, you find out of anyone has responded directly to your post because a number will appear by the "Notifications" space on your screen. Without using this sign, you wouldn't know if someone responded directly to your post without reading all subsequent posts in the thread. I love this feature! Not unfriendly to use it.

@The @ key on my device is found on the keyboard AFTER you press the ".?123" key. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack - Oh, good deal Ms MaggieM, I got it now!!!!!  I can do this and still give a personal shout out to you!