Respected Contributor

To me they say you're not so invisible after all, when I receive them. Knowing how that feels, I give them as often as I feel a post has reason to praise or grounds for agreement, or sympathy for a situation or emotional state, or decline in general state of well being.

HeartHeartHeart Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1:  I use an iPad also. The hearts are at the bottom right of each post, just to the left of the "reply" button. Just press the heart, and you've "hearted" that person's post. When that heart changes from red to grey, you'll know your "hearting" went through. HTH.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

It's sad to think posters feel "invisible" but I do understand it because it happens to most of us...  and it's great that the heart feature has been helpful in showing us we're all heard and seen.  I've been a fan of the hearts and the "@" notifications since they became functional, and I still like them!

It's especially helpful to be able to "contact" another poster and know they'll find the thread the next time they sign in here.   Being able to "heart" a post cuts down on all the quotes-within-quotes just for an "ITA" comment, too.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

homedecor1 wrote:

Where is the "heart" button I don't see that using my IPad although thanks everyone who have given them to me! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@homedecor1, If you're using the "Full" (desktop) Safari version of the site you should be able to see and use the heart fuction on every post.

Have you looked at your Settings?  Under "Preferences," then "Hearts," be sure you have not checked the box next to "Hide Hearts buttons and counts."

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

It IS FUN to get hearts AND to give them!!!!  I thoroughly enjoy this process.  First, this means others are enjoying reading your posts - or most of the time anyway.  And if you like them to give a heart emphasizes it.

I also enjoy receiving hearts.  I love to sign in and see if I have any new ones, check out who gave them and I'll go back to see if anyone else responded to what I may have said. 

Quite fun this hearts thing!!!!  ANd Ms June22, I gave one to you for starting a nice post! 

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

It's sad to think posters feel "invisible" but I do understand it because it happens to most of us...  and it's great that the heart feature has been helpful in showing us we're all heard and seen.  I've been a fan of the hearts and the "@" notifications since they became functional, and I still like them!

It's especially helpful to be able to "contact" another poster and know they'll find the thread the next time they sign in here.   Being able to "heart" a post cuts down on all the quotes-within-quotes just for an "ITA" comment, too.

@dooBdoo@ - I too like the @ feature, this way you know the person you are responding to will see your post.  Otherwise, it was hit or miss.

Respected Contributor

I like the hearts for the purpose as stated here; however, the tally of them for the ranking of posters' status is ridiculous.  Any one of us is capable of self-determination as to whom we hold in high (or low) regard or trust.

To me, the best new feature of the entire re-format is the "@" function.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Tallying up a bunch of hearts to me just means that many folks here are truly reading what you've taken the time to say, and LIKED, enjoyed or thought to be even knowledgeable perhaps with good advise in what you said.  No popularity contest, just enjoyable reading.

Esteemed Contributor

There are a very few people who post and it seems I am always in opposition to their thinking. I have thoroughly enjoyed giving these people hearts on the rare occasion that we agree. It sort of feels like sending a peace sign or olive branch.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I like the hearts too.  It is an easy way to let other posters know you enjoyed or agreed with their posts. I also agree that it makes me feel less invisible because at least I know someone out there is reading some of what I wrote.  I don't think it is necessary to count them up to change our contributor designations - I would prefer they get rid of all those valued, trusted, etc. labels and just make us all contributors.