Respected Contributor

Re: Having a Thick Skin in Job Hunting

And if you dare to say anything you're old, not with it, reluctant to change, have a bad attitude, etc. Translation: accept and become mediocre and fall in line with the rest of us. That whole attitude makes me sick.
Respected Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:
And if you dare to say anything you're old, not with it, reluctant to change, have a bad attitude, etc. Translation: accept and become mediocre and fall in line with the rest of us. That whole attitude makes me sick.

It might make you sick but the reality is that this is "their" world and we're just living in it for next few years...lol  

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Reba055 wrote:

It might make you sick but the reality is that this is "their" world and we're just living in it for next few years...lol  

It is not their world it is our world and if they're not careful they will be replaced by someone with more experience and a higher degree of professionalism.  

Trusted Contributor

The work environment has changed, and many work environments are much more relaxed these days -- including very sucessful companies.  Many companies, in fact, stress the benefits of the more relaxed atmospheres as it leads to happier employees which lead to more productive employees.

What is unprofessional is determining that you know how to better run a company before you even have a job there.  You are a stranger on the outside looking in, and making the assumption that you know better will only lead to frustrfation, disappointment, and a longer period of job hunting.  In other words, refusing to accept that things have changed is, ultimately, leading to its own cultural difference.

Respected Contributor

I kind of get what you are saying.   I have seen a difference in the way things are done for a long time.  However, my feeling is that you have to adapt a bit if you want to survive and be successful in your job search.  I don't mean giving up your ideals, but rather being less critical of those around you.  I guarantee you, even though you may not voice anything, your reaction is coming through non verbally, and people are picking up on it as negativity.  There's not a thing you can do about other people, but you can focus on presenting yourself in the best light.  I understand your frustration, but if you carry that around with you, it will be a chip on your shoulder.  Maybe now is a good time to re-evaluate the field you're in.  Is there a career field you were always interested in, but never thought about following?  Maybe a job where you're more independent and not reporting to someone else would be a good fit.  Just some thoughts....

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back  You are right as far as attitudes go... I have spoken with younger career people in management positions with prominent companies and there are real problems getting people to adopt the attitudes one would expect in "teamwork."  Everyone does appear to be possessive of their own knowledge... and not anxious to share.

Although it would be rational to accept the fact that times have changed, I still like to make observations and see how many have also seen these behaviors -- and isn't this cause to ask people if they want the trend to continue?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

There's nothing wrong with a casual, more relaxed work environment. Some of the best companies I've worked for were that way. What they did not do was compromise their commitment to their customers and other employees by allowing unprofessional behavior, lack of integrity, and solid work ethic.
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with you, OP.

Batten down the hatches because just think what you will dealing with when you get the job.

Daily incompetence......

Respected Contributor

when another poster suggested you had not worked in 20 years maybe she was 1/2 correct.  it is a different work world, everyone is younger, the hiring managers are 35, team building means booze cruises, everyone working is a millennial or at least a gen-X

Do you like South Park?

WAY different work world since 1995 when you said you recently have lost your 20 year position and you were a manager with direct reports!   those were the days of power suits, solid track records, responsible for XYZ,  Japanese Management Principles.

buh-bye . its now  Lean Six Sigma,  SPC, ISO 9001

hello, good luck replicating that job again.  maybe you should find that job app for an admin requesting that you ship two chihuahas to Turqs and Caicos.

try consulting - at your level and expertise you should be quite successful

Valued Contributor

Your replyi to crystaltree's snarky message was patient and well put. Why do people who know absolutely nothing about a situation feel they are able to give such poor advice?