Honored Contributor

Re: Having a Thick Skin in Job Hunting

I retired on SSD in 2008. Went on regular SS last year. I volunteer at the food bank at my church. I have been very flexible with them as I enjoy working there so they call me whenever they need me and I always go in un less I really can't. This spring they offered me a paying job there. They said I work hard, and will do any job they ask me to,so they feel I deserve to be paid. I turned it down and said I would be fine to continue to volunteer, mostly because the volunteers only work 4 hours at a time and I don't think I could manage a entire day. However, i think this is how folks get jobs now a days, you have to get yourself out there. Volunteer or work for a part time agency so people get to know you and see your work.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Does it seem to you that this could be the same poster with a different name? The attitude seems the same.

I don't think it is, can't remember the name though..........

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

***I totally agree with making it happen on your own.   That's what I did.  I moved to an area where people say "you won't be able to find a job there."  I started volunteering to get to know people, and a year later they basically created a job for me.  Now, I realize that my circumstances may be different from others'.  The bottom line is, you need to be flexible, humble (do jobs you might not otherwise have thought of just to get your foot in the door), and be sharp and on the lookout for opportunities (proactive.)   Simply applying for a job as in years past doesn't work as much anymore.  Also, simply having a degree from a "superb" university (what does that mean anymore)  will not be enough (unless you have networked the heck out of your time there, or have a legacy last name.)   It's not where you go, it's what you know, and what you're willing to do.  My brother started out at community college, and is now an assistant to the SACEUR in Belgium.  He worked hard on his way up the ladder, and it paid off.  Put yourself out there, add to your skills base, and be willing to start off in a lower tier job if necessary.  These are skills that I think serve anyone, no matter what the age.

That's excellent advice Marie, there was a poster here recently that had shared frustrations about job hunting.  I wonder how she is doing.........

Does it seem to you that this could be the same poster with a different name? The attitude seems the same.

It is the same person. Both complained about the same exact things. One needs to be flexable and be able to adapt to new situations. Being rigid, will not get you anywhere, let alone a job, if one is constantly looking down their nose at their prospective employer. 

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

***I totally agree with making it happen on your own.   That's what I did.  I moved to an area where people say "you won't be able to find a job there."  I started volunteering to get to know people, and a year later they basically created a job for me.  Now, I realize that my circumstances may be different from others'.  The bottom line is, you need to be flexible, humble (do jobs you might not otherwise have thought of just to get your foot in the door), and be sharp and on the lookout for opportunities (proactive.)   Simply applying for a job as in years past doesn't work as much anymore.  Also, simply having a degree from a "superb" university (what does that mean anymore)  will not be enough (unless you have networked the heck out of your time there, or have a legacy last name.)   It's not where you go, it's what you know, and what you're willing to do.  My brother started out at community college, and is now an assistant to the SACEUR in Belgium.  He worked hard on his way up the ladder, and it paid off.  Put yourself out there, add to your skills base, and be willing to start off in a lower tier job if necessary.  These are skills that I think serve anyone, no matter what the age.

That's excellent advice Marie, there was a poster here recently that had shared frustrations about job hunting.  I wonder how she is doing.........

@SydneyH, I think it was Apple Head who wrote extensively about this issue.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@SydneyH, I think it was Apple Head who wrote extensively about this issue.

That's right.  I'd like to know how things are going, may be she'll weigh in.....

Respected Contributor

Good luck in your job search OP!

There was a funny thread about a job listing that
asked people to write how they would ship puppies
to a foreign country. I guess people and employers
are more creative nowadays lol.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

Thought this was an interesting article about the changing workplace today:

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/07/08/3-on-your-side-many-millennials-would-quit-if-not-allowe...

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Interesting article morganjen I hope the OP sees it.

👍

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••