Respected Contributor

Re: Halloween decorations getting too gruesome......

[ Edited ]

moonchilde, is that what makes us different?  

I just said in an email that we "would be there with bells on" I was called out for using an old person's phrase. 

Seriously though, The attitude of my way or the highway frightens me. If it belongs to the youth, then who taught them that.  Is it part of the entitlement thing, or worse.

hmmm, don't want to get too introspective.

Enjoy what life has to offer friends and enrich yourselves.

OOPs forgot to set the font and color. Hope all are able to read.

Honored Contributor

Halloween is our favorite holiday in this house, it always has been.  Why?  All fun, no work preparing a big celebration dinner for people Woman LOL

DD likes to do themes, little vignettes. We have cute decorations from her childhood, and my collection of vintage reproductions, and the classics from the old Frankenstein movies, mummy movies and Dracula movies.

I started a new one this year with Halloween village pieces from Michael's, I got Wanda The Witch's Wicked Cupcakes bakery.

I also make Halloween looking food, like a grilled cheese sandwich with a pumpkin face.

It's all about one thing: FUN, FUN, FUN.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Halloween Quesadillas:

Honored Contributor

Betty Crocker's Cheddar Pumpkin Appetizers:

Cheddar Pumpkin Appetizers

Respected Contributor

Noel, love your food pics. 

I saw the cute village pieces at Michael's. Mr henny rolled his eyes at me. (For months now I have been trying to get the kids to take things.)

I have about forty five years worth of halloween decorations. As we no longer have little ones, we put out less and less, but I sure enjoy seeing them.

Respected Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

I used to dress up every year to hand out candy. This will be our first year without our beloved fur baby and I'm not looking forward to it. Tess loved seeing all the kids & she loved all the attention she got (she didn't love wearing a costume, so I usually just tied a bandana around her collar). Last year, I was also working part-time at the local library & dressed up as the tattoed librarian (I drew library-based quotes all over my arms, neck & face). Need to do something to be in a more positive mind-set, so I need to come up with something cool to wear this year.

Awww, I know how you feel.  I have dressed up as Prof McGonagal for years.  I had an English Lab who was the sweetest gentlest giant - 120 pounds of love and slobber - who actually seemed to enjoy his giant spider costume.  He and I would greet all the trick-or-treaters and all his spider legs would bounce as he walked around.  The kids just loved it.  This will be my 2nd Halloween without my big guy.  None of my other dogs enjoy dressing up or the barrage of trick-or-treaters.

Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Noel, love your food pics. 

I saw the cute village pieces at Michael's. Mr henny rolled his eyes at me. (For months now I have been trying to get the kids to take things.)

I have about forty five years worth of halloween decorations. As we no longer have little ones, we put out less and less, but I sure enjoy seeing them.

I love seeing them, too, Ms. Henny Smiley Happy  We pretty much celebrate for a month, varying the decorations and trying fun food like that pictured.

We used to carve several pumpkins to put outside, but it got to be such a chore for DH, I could tell he was at the stage of "Been there, done that."  LOL.  Now I just use uncarved pumpkins, we don't get many kids coming around anymore, either, a changing demographic, lots of young techies with a lot of money.  I suppose that means the kids will be back in maybe five years Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer fall and harvest decorations to those strictly for Halloween. When I do choose to add a few Halloween decorations, it's usually witches, ravens, and so on... Personally, I think one can get a great deal more mileage out of pumpkins, fall leaves, owls and so on than out of decorations that are exclusively for Halloween. I first decorate somewhat minimally for fall, then add a few Halloween items just for the few days leading up to Halloween and then remove them, leaving the harvest decor for the rest of the season.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I switch to Fall decorations the day after Halloween.  All the regulars: Fall leaves, bunches of colored corn, and lots and lots of candles!

In fact, I just ordered some new candles from the Q that run on batteries.  The pine cones look nice, I got the brushed bronze, two for the mantel and two for a windowsill.

Set of 4 Pinecone Window Candles with Timer by Valerie

Respected Contributor

I have to laugh!

For the last few years I have  been buying the pretty white pumpkins and not carving them. They stay on the front porch til after thanksgiving then onto the compost pile.

I did try to talk mr henny into one of  those huge blow up decorations with the horse and carriage. I thought it would be fun on the roof so everyone down in the city could see it. He said, he does not carve pumpkins anymore and the thought of climbing up on the roof was not something he would consider.

Love the pine cone candles!