Honored Contributor

Fantastic deal at new Visionworks store

I had an eye exam on Thursday and I have cataracts (not surprisingly). Opthalmologist doesn't see immediate need for surgery, so he prescribed glasses. One pair would have cost almost $400 in the Optometry section of his office.

My daughter thought we could do better, so she took me to Visionworks, a new store just opened in our area around the middle of February. First, they had a two for one sale (any frames I wanted, all first grade) which is even advertised on TV. When we figured out the cost, it was $395 for two pair exactly the same ($197.50 each). On top of that, they gave me a senior discount of 75%, which brought the cost down to $98.75 for two pair of prescription glasses.

This kind of stuff doesn't normally happen to me. I felt as though I had just won the jackpot at Atlantic City!!

I would say if you need new glasses and there is a Visionworks near you, to hightail it over there ASAP!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Re: Fantastic deal at new Visionworks store

We have Visionworks here and I've used them for decades, I always get the two for one. I see as well with them as some of my family members that pay $400 a pair. I think you will also find that to be true.

Respected Contributor

Ouch...considering what I just spent as my portion with vision insurance, I wish we had something like this around here.

Respected Contributor

This is where I will probably go. We have several here and they have coupons on the internet. I haven't been checked for four years now and I know I need an update.

I need to call my insurance company to see if I have a vision plan, they do accept most.

Honored Contributor

On 4/5/2014 kdgn said:

Ouch...considering what I just spent as my portion with vision insurance, I wish we had something like this around here.

It was the senior discount that made it so fantastic, although two for one is a pretty good deal by itself. Medicare does not pay for glasses. I think the senior discount was a one day thing, I am not sure. I wish you had one near you also.

Thank God for my daughter, I never would have known and probably would have wound up paying the $400 for one pair of glasses!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 4/5/2014 Lakk said:

We have Visionworks here and I've used them for decades, I always get the two for one. I see as well with them as some of my family members that pay $400 a pair. I think you will also find that to be true.

It's a very nice store, huge selection of frames. I can't wait to get the glasses and hope they help with this blurry vision I have been dealing with for a month now.

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

I had not been checked by a really good opthalmologist in quite a few years and decided to go to georgetown university hospital, to get my eyes checked, by one of the doctors there and low and behold, I also have cataracts and must return in 6 months. she wanted me to go to the most expernsive shop for glasses, but picked out another one, where also the eyes were measured, a dot in the center of the pupils (glasses of course) and some other things. and got a discount of 20%. But, part of it is that I have 3 months guarantee if I need different glasses. So I will order my glasses in 3 months, and then I can get the new ones after the surgery.

What blew them all away is that i have 20/20 eye sight. Me too.

So i think i will stick weth this couple, as they were very professional, and had good choices.

Magenta

Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2014 Magenta said:

I had not been checked by a really good opthalmologist in quite a few years and decided to go to georgetown university hospital, to get my eyes checked, by one of the doctors there and low and behold, I also have cataracts and must return in 6 months. she wanted me to go to the most expernsive shop for glasses, but picked out another one, where also the eyes were measured, a dot in the center of the pupils (glasses of course) and some other things. and got a discount of 20%. But, part of it is that I have 3 months guarantee if I need different glasses. So I will order my glasses in 3 months, and then I can get the new ones after the surgery.

What blew them all away is that i have 20/20 eye sight. Me too.

So i think i will stick weth this couple, as they were very professional, and had good choices.

Magenta

One thing that always worked for me was my eyes. I always had superior vision, both near and far. Then I turned 40 and became farsighted. So I dealt with that, bought all of my glasses at the pharmacy. Now, at 76, it seems the party is over. The cataracts have affected my excellent distance vision and I will now have to wear glasses all the time.

I consider myself lucky that I had superior vision for as long as I did, so I'm not complaining. I am hoping it will be a while before I have to have the cataract surgery . . . but I guess that depends on whichever comes first.

I'm glad to hear you are happy with your opthalmologists.

Formerly Ford1224