Honored Contributor

@cotton4me I also have no desire to sign into Facebook so I don't go there.

I believe the reason they need users to sign in is because they need to be able to prove to advertisers that they the number of users they claim to have.  

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote

i have a fake name, and don't use my actual face anywhere, 

I use it for some things I like to do

You can do the same thing on Facebook! 

I have limited friends and family able to access my page.  You don't have to post everything about you!

The people who share everything...WANT IT that way!

It doesn't have to be that way at all.  

Your account can be completely private!

Valued Contributor

Not sure I understand your question/problem.  Are you saying that you cannot access FB to look at whatever pages you want to see?

Just because your friend was on FB on your laptop (I think you said) then she would have had to sign in and then sign out when she was done.  If you don't have a FB account, you can't sign in and would not be able to access anything having to do with FB.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I believe the reason they need users to sign in is because they need to be able to prove to advertisers that they the number of users they claim to have.  

Bingo @millieshops!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@jackthebear wrote

i have a fake name, and don't use my actual face anywhere, 

I use it for some things I like to do

You can do the same thing on Facebook! 

I have limited friends and family able to access my page.  You don't have to post everything about you!

The people who share everything...WANT IT that way!

It doesn't have to be that way at all.  

Your account can be completely private!

i was speaking about facebook in my comment

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@millieshops.  Of course, I think most are aware of that.  Same reason QVC pushes their app so hard.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

That happens to me from time-to-time.  Eventually, things return to normal and I'm able to view public FB.  Who knows what's going on - certainly not me.

Trusted Contributor

@spumoni99 wrote:

@sugar plum wrote:

A class action privacy-related lawsuit was recently settled.

"Facebook's parent, Meta, in December 2022 agreed to pay $725 million to settle a host of privacy-related class action lawsuits alleging, among other things, that Facebook let third parties access its users' private data and that of their friends without users' permission." Aug 17, 2023.

Just one of the many reasons I don't use or trust Facebook.

Most companies sell your personal information, some will ask you if you don't wan tthem to but the majority of them just do it. Thats why when your online ads seemed to be tailored for you or what you were recently talking about, your cell phone even listens and ads come up based on that, if you think you have privacy your wrong.

You are right about this, and I think that many people may not realize that this happens.  As you posted, this was a huge problem for FB and they had to settle a claim for this.

What people don't think about with them is that as soon as you sign up, you have given up your privacy.

It has nothing to do with setting up your personal account there and setting up your personal privacy settings and making them as secure as possible, and so on. 

And yes, as many people think, there's really no such thing as privacy on the Internet anymore. However, we can still do what we can try to do to try and make ourselves feel as secure as we can.

For some of us, we decide whether or not to sign up for certain social media websites. 

Valued Contributor
@Toppers3

I agree and well stated. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

I have a problem with facebook too. Woman Wink

Too many people use it as a personal diary. 

I have an account but am not very active for the reason above. 

The more people post about what they have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, ( I wish it was only that ) the more I stay away. 

Why some want to live their "life" out loud on a social media site is beyond me.