Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

it DOESN"T matter what she did. The police officer did not do HIS job. If he cannot handle the stress and daily duties of enforcing the peace, then he needed to quit

She didn't have a gun, she had a CELL PHONE.  She threw the first punch (maybe) but didn't connect with him.  A cell phone is like skittles, it isn't a weapon.

If this was your child, you would be rightly upset and with good reason.  Whatever she did in that video, did not merit what HE did to her.

He abused his power and authority. 

She abused the teacher, the administration, fellow students and the officer by being insubordinate and combative and disruptive. 

I'm really tired of the thugs getting all the time and attention, while those there to learn have to put up with the lost instructional time, and the wearing down of teachers who have to put up with this kind of behavior, and loose focus and enthusiasm for their job....teaching.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Regardless if she is 16 or 60 to pull her out of the chair like that shows how little respect he has for his community and the people he serves. 

Think of it this way what if that was your child? Would you really be OK with somebody viciously man handling them. I would not even remember what I would do to that man if he dared to do that to my child. 

If the level of disrespect and number of times she was instructed to comply are correct as reported at this time, then I would be OK with what he did if it were my child. We raised our child to understand that the rules are the rules for everyone, and when those in authority are asking you to follow those rules, don't make them ask twice, or accept what they dole out. 

If you don't agree with the rules, the person in authority asking you to do something, do what you are told, and take it up through the proper channels. Being the reason a situation escalates is only going to lead to a worse outcome, so don't be a part of it.

OMG

she was TEXTING.  She wasn't threatening anyone. Yes, she is a pain, but does that mean she should be subjected to excessive force, including a frigging head lock?

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Honored Contributor

Now we're in to code-speak.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Esteemed Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Amazing that there are people who are so willing to give some people a pass concerning their behavior and crucify others.  When you put yourself into situatiopns where bad things can happen, don't be suprised when they do.

For everyone else, I would agree. But police are not SUPPOSED to do this. 

There is no reason why he should have over-reacted like he did.

So if this had been a teacher, would you then be OK with how this turned out.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

it DOESN"T matter what she did. The police officer did not do HIS job. If he cannot handle the stress and daily duties of enforcing the peace, then he needed to quit

She didn't have a gun, she had a CELL PHONE.  She threw the first punch (maybe) but didn't connect with him.  A cell phone is like skittles, it isn't a weapon.

If this was your child, you would be rightly upset and with good reason.  Whatever she did in that video, did not merit what HE did to her.

She abused the teacher, the administration, fellow students and the officer by being insubordinate and combative and disruptive. 

I'm really tired of the thugs getting all the time and attention, while those there to learn have to put up with the lost instructional time, and the wearing down of teachers who have to put up with this kind of behavior, and loose focus and enthusiasm for their job....teaching.

OMG - thugs?  She was TEXTING. Yeah, she was a pain.  So WHAT?  Anyone that is diss'ing you - it is okay to physically hurt them now? 

What type of society do we live in?  And I love the use of the code word thugs. We all know what that means.  nuff said.

Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Amazing that there are people who are so willing to give some people a pass concerning their behavior and crucify others.  When you put yourself into situatiopns where bad things can happen, don't be suprised when they do.

When we put ourselves in a situation we do so as adults. 

Even children are taught not to put themselves into bad situations, i.e don't go with strangers. Why do some get a pass and others do not, is there some magic formula I missed when you are no longer responsible for you actions.

Even if a child ends up in a bad situation that s/he created it should never lead to violence in a classroom.  I am dumbfounded that people do not seem to grasp this.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

So now she's a thug? 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@biancardi wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

OMG - thugs?  She was TEXTING. Yeah, she was a pain.  So WHAT?  Anyone that is diss'ing you - it is okay to physically hurt them now? 

What type of society do we live in?  And I love the use of the code word thugs. We all know what that means.  nuff said.

Yes. And nuff said is right.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

For everyone else, I would agree. But police are not SUPPOSED to do this. 

There is no reason why he should have over-reacted like he did.

So if this had been a teacher, would you then be OK with how this turned out.

ACtually no.  I was referring to people who aren't in positions of authority and aren't trained to deal with this.  I am NOT okay with any of this at all.

I was agreeing that normal people might escalate it - doesn't mean I agree with it.  Police aren't supposed to do this at all as they have been trained specifically for these use cases.

Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

And even the sherrif is stating that the girl bears responsibility for how this scenario played out, for acting out to the level that the officer even had to be called in.

So it goes. She bears as much responsibility as he did (more because she started it) for what happened to her.

Read your own posted link, the sheriff did indeed say the girl bears responsibility. 

Why so many people can't understand personal responsibility is beyond me.

And the officer has a higher duty to exercise both professional and personal responsibility as well. He was the aggressor and he's been terminated. 

He was not the aggressor, she was. She acted out first, she disobeyed  more than one person before he got there. 

This is the real world that many won't raise their kids to understand. Not everyone is going to negotiate with you. Not everyone is going to take your bull. This guy might well have saved her life, if she learned a lesson that in the real world, on the streets, if you push someone, they will push back, and sometimes in a manner that is in excess or dangerous or deadly. 

Aggressor does not define the actions of a teen who simply won't put her cell phone away.  

It was aggression. It was more than not putting a cell phone away by the time he got there. It escalated, and she escalated it. 

There is obviously a rule about having phones out in class. I'm sure she knows that, but believes that it not only doesn't apply to her, but that she can continue to defy what is asked of her in conjunction with her first refusal. Guess she found out that there are consequences to her lack of respect.