Honored Contributor

@NUNYA wrote:

I'm still curious why they didn't call a parent or guardian to come deal with her?

That, too. 

Or remind her that disobeying would mean suspension or being expelled.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@dmod nj wrote:

I'm baffled by the inability to SEPARATE what the girl did and the response by the officer.  TWO SEPARATE THINGS.

She is responsible for her part, NOT the assault/reaction by the officer.

He is responsible for how he handled the situation.

This is exactly what I see to be the problem too.  They are 2 separate things.  Yes she should be held accountable for her actions.

But she is not responsible for how the officer overreacted and what he did.  He alone is responsible for that.

I think some are coming from the perspective that if she hadn't acted out, he wouldn't have had to come in and none of this would have happened.  If this guy was that off the rails, he would have assaulted someone else.   

@60sgirl, that is not what happened here though. We are talking about THIS situation.

I can read. People are making all kinds of observations. As others have said the real lesson here is always the same as in other similar cases, listen to your superiors and avoid all of this, People just think they have a right to constantly test the boundaries of that and then not suffer any consequences. In the "old days" no student would defy authority because if they did, they'd not only scrub the gym floor as punishment, but their parents would punish them again when they got home.

As for the Sheriff, don't you think he has to be PC about everything so as not to lay blame squarely on one person? Hindsight is a marvelous thing isn't it? 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Esteemed Contributor

The officer acted in a totally unacceptable manner and, consequently, he lost his job. The student's behavior was the reason the officer was called in to begin with. I understand why the sheriff said they both bear responsibility for what happened. 

"Fields did wrong and was fired for his actions," Lott said.

"But the student must shoulder responsibility for the disruptive behavior that escalated to the officer being called in," the sheriff said.

"We must not lose sight that this whole incident started by this student," he said. "She is responsible for initiating this action. Some responsibility falls on her."

So the officer was fired for his part in the incident.  Has anyone heard whether or not the student has been disciplined yet (in the proper manner)?

Trusted Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Take the identical situation and substitute the parent for the RO and the parent would have been charged, at the very least, with aggravated battery on a minor and endangering the welfare of a minor. CPS would have authority over the girl and any siblings while the parent(s) were investigated.

Based on some of the posts there are several that must know this child and not only her social history but her future too.

Please provide those of us that do not know her with citations and the details of her past and ongoing problems, the circumstances under which they occurred and the outcome.

really? What are you talking about? what is the purpose of this snark? Only one sided opinions matter or the snark comes out?

Honored Contributor

Most parents do not want to hear from the school.  When they do, they're angry at their child, especially if that means they are called in for a conference with the teacher or principal OR they have to find child care for a younger student.

Often, the threat of parent involvement is enough to scare that student into shaping up.

Honored Contributor

I don't know much about this story other then an officer in trouble for getting a kid out of the chair? Seriously!!!!!!!!!! Schools have to call the police when they have kids in school that don't do what they are told. Give me a break. If the teacher or principle could not handle the situation maybe they should call the parent & let them deal with it. Teachers are in school to teach the kids not to raise your kids for you. She did not do what she was told so call the parent & have them pick up the kid & while you are at it suspend them for 3 days for showing their a$$. When I was in school & did not do what I was suppose to do I got sent to the office. I had to attend after school class & got my a$$ whipped when I got home. The police never showed up. Forgot to say I don't want to hear he's a racist. They always play the race card. Has nothing to do with race. Has to do with a kid that needs a good whipping, stay in your room, take away the cell phone, computer & anything else that makes her happy, give her lots of chores to do. Maybe she will knock it off.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I don't know much about this story other then an officer in trouble for getting a kid out of the chair? Seriously!!!!!!!!!! Schools have to call the police when they have kids in school that don't do what they are told. Give me a break. If the teacher or principle could not handle the situation maybe they should call the parent & let them deal with it. Teachers are in school to teach the kids not to raise your kids for you. She did not do what she was told so call the parent & have them pick up the kid & while you are at it suspend them for 3 days for showing their a$$. When I was in school & did not do what I was suppose to do I got sent to the office. I had to attend after school class & got my a$$ whipped when I got home. The police never showed up.

Well, it was a lot more than getting her out of a chair, he put her in a headlock and threw her across the room, but aside from that, I agree with you about the usual procedure.

Now they call the cops on unruly five year olds, sometimes handcuffing them. 

The same people support that, too.

Respected Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Most parents do not want to hear from the school.  When they do, they're angry at their child, especially if that means they are called in for a conference with the teacher or principal OR they have to find child care for a younger student.

Often, the threat of parent involvement is enough to scare that student into shaping up.

So true.  Just the thought of my mother having to leave work to come to the school, straightened me right up. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. 

And if you got suspended at my school, a parent need to pick you up, right then. Not later, not at the end of the day.

Esteemed Contributor

Whatever happened to tough love? 

Hey that other thread disappeared and I was hoping for feedback.  Back in the 1960's when I went to Grade school, the nuns behaved and acted the way that school officer behaved toward the children. 

We learned that time was precious and not to waste it and that learned was a privledge - that's why we went to school.  May students became quite successful for learning some of the imposed values. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@NoelSeven wrote:

Students who act up in school as this girl did are ordered to go to the principal's office.

If they refuse, typically they are suspended and a note is sent home to their parent or guardian.

If the problem is worse they are expelled.

They are not routinely assaulted and thrown around the room.

Violence breeds violence.

well, it seems she was told 3x and didn't listen. Now pray tell, what would you have done while this was going on? You are still trying to teach the rest of the students and one of them is disrupting the class. How exactly do you get her to the principal's office if she doesn't listen?

No one is excusing an assualt by an officer, but what I fail to understand is how some people are always right there in support of unruly, undisciplined, kids who have respect for anyone in authority. Are you thinking they don';t exist? They do. And if they are that way in school, how likely is it that they have parents at home who really care or are involved in their lives, otherwise why would they be so undisciplined in the first place?