Super Contributor

Re: Does my inside only cat need vaccines?

On 7/20/2014 Jules5280 said:

Yes, doesn't matter if your furbaby is indoor or outdoor, there are air born illness infections they can contract just from sniffing. Just because you keep you kitty indoors does not mean it is protected. Please get him/her the proper vaccinations if you love it and want only the best for it.

these statements are completely untrue. Cats and dogs pick up infections from contact with other sick cats and dogs, not by sniffing the air in their own homes. They can sneeze from dust, allergens and other irritants but there is no vaccines for those anyway. And those are not infectious diseases.

Feline leukemia vaccine is not a core vaccine and can be given if the owner lets their cats come in contact with other strays who may have the disease. All cats and kittens in shelters and rescues are combo tested before going up for adoption to test for feline aids/leukemia. In most cases if found positive they are euthanized. In over 2 years at a shelter taking in many strays, not one has tested positive yet. But many people have kittens born on their property and take them inside before testing at the vet so they could be exposing other cats to illnesses.

Rabies vaccine in Ohio is not a state law but goes by county. Rural counties have more reports of rabid raccoons than urban areas.

And in my studies to become a vet tech, I read many articles from well known animal experts who are now thinking pets are over vaccinated. They cite many reasons for this including losing their ability to fight off any illnesses naturally. One of my cats nearly died from a rabies distemper vaccine so if she had at only 4 years old, I would not have forgiven myself. Sarcomas develop from the leukemia vaccine so much so that most vets give the shot in the rear leg. Their thinking is that if a sarcoma developed they could amputate the leg and save the cat. I do not give that vaccine ever. I look at all the strays in my area that have been coming around for years, living out in the wild, having no vaccines, many times with eyes and noses dripping, then days later perfectly fine, surviving brutal cold weather and eating only what they find or what some humans put out for them. They are unbelievably hardy and many times healthier than some of our furry friends who have become obese due to pet food additives and overeating.

And finally, you always put things in your posts inferring that people who don't spend the money on proper pet care in your opinion, do not love their pets. That is simply not true and I really resent those statements. Many of us have done research and talked to our vets and make decisions based on that because we DO love our pets. You do not have the right to make those assumptions based on what you do.

Esteemed Contributor

About the feline aids/leukemia vaccine...that's no guarantee against anything either. I know first hand. Had a kitty, tested clean, got the vaccine and never missed a booster. Got bit by an infected cat and died anyway of feline aids and leukemia. $$ for a false sense of security.
Keepin' it real.
Occasional Contributor

You might want to check your home owner's or renter's insurance policy. Mine has a requirement that all pets be current on their core shots. Rabies is required by law here too. I don't remember the specifics, but a few years ago, a coworker's dog bit someone. She had to submit documentation of his vaccines to the police & the lawyer of the person he bit.