Super Contributor

Do you think a pilot that has a mental illness should lose his job?

If someone has mental illness then they should not fly a plane a be response for the lives of others. I understand they are afraid to report it because they know it will cost them their job, so what do you think the solution should be?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think a pilot that has a mental illness should lose his job?

A massive lawsuit is coming their way, he was treated before he was hired AND after and was never removed from rotation. Unbelievable.

Esteemed Contributor

If the pilot comes forward and says that he, or she needs help, I think that his or her job should be held for them, while they seek treatment.

Respected Contributor

He could have provided simulation training for new pilots. People who have feelings of suicidal ideation should not be flying planes with passengers. Not even if they recover because it is possible, even likely, the feelings will at some point return if/when depression sets back in.

The stakes are too high to be lenient.

Esteemed Contributor

Of course they should lose their job as a pilot, but they could be re-trained to work elsewhere in the company where safety isn't an issue.

Honored Contributor

Hi, HollyDays!Smile

I know it's a sticky wicket, but so far my opinion is that the pilots' physicians and therapists should be designated as "mandated reporters" and pilots whose abilities are in question should be reassigned to other positions away from the cockpit.

It's so complicated, because doing this has the potential of causing pilots to avoid getting medical diagnoses or treatments, but when we place the lives of so many in their hands... well, even though there's no perfect solution we need to take steps to try and provide more protections.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

We have a neighbor who is a pilot. He suffers from depression and has been deemed unfit to fly. He's been collecting his full salary and benefits since 1/14. He plans to ride it out until 1/16, when he will retire.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 Free2be said:

He could have provided simulation training for new pilots. People who have feelings of suicidal ideation should not be flying planes with passengers. Not even if they recover because it is possible, even likely, the feelings will at some point return if/when depression sets back in.

I completely agree.

Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 brii said:
On 3/30/2015 Free2be said:

I completely agree.

I agree, too.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 lulu2 said:

We have a neighbor who is a pilot. He suffers from depression and has been deemed unfit to fly. He's been collecting his full salary and benefits since 1/14. He plans to ride it out until 1/16, when he will retire.

I think that's a very important point.

Pilots might be more likely to self-report and less fearful if they weren't afraid of losing their income and benefits.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent