Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think a pilot that has a mental illness should lose his job?

Yes! With so many people's lives in their hands it's not worth the risk period.
Honored Contributor

I see no problem with them getting full pay, if they can't be placed somewhere else within the airline.

I wonder how many pilots are in the air right now as I type that are suicidal. I bet a lot of them were quite anxious when this whole thing transpired.

They should not be flying! It's a hard thing to do, my dad had to give up his pilot's license for a physical disability and that actually sent him into a depression as it was for strictly pleasure.

But you've got to do it out of responsiblity for all's safety sake.

Honored Contributor

What about other professions that are responsible for a large # of people?

Staten Island Ferry operators wouldn't have the base salary as a pilot, but would their benefits be the same? If memory serves, I think most Long-Term Disability plans allow a small percentage of your original salary, yes?

Respected Contributor

On 3/30/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

Of course they should lose their job as a pilot, but they could be re-trained to work elsewhere in the company where safety isn't an issue.

I completely agree. A mental disability should have the same rights/benefits as when a physical disability happens to an employee.

Respected Contributor

I don't think any pilot should be allowed to fly if there is ANY concern about their mental or physical health.

This is a case where the safety of passengers totally outweighs any job fairness stuff.

If doctors knew this man was continuing to fly while suicidally depressed, they should have informed his employer. That is presuming they knew.

Hyacinth

Contributor

I wonder how many pilots are flying with mild depression and taking antidepressants like millions of people. I can only hope that they are not schizophrenics, or psychotic or some other serious type of depression. There are plenty of people taking antidepressants who are not suicidal, or harmful to others. I don't know what should be done about this. I just know that there is enough stress about flying without worrying about the pilot's mental health. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

It could be that he intentionally took too many meds all at one time, which may have put him in a 'daze' or something similar. We will never know, unfortunately.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

This is a difficult subject because most people with mental illness are able to function well and are neither suicidal nor homicidal. There are other professions such as doctors, police, fire fighters in which human lives are at stake on a daily basis and they can certainly do those jobs while coping with mental illness. if treated. I can't think of anyone other than a pilot who has the ability to kill hundreds of people in a matter of minutes if he is mentally unfit to do his job for even a few hours.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

When a doctor gives the pilot an excuse a copy should be sent to whomever he should have given it. Relying on the pilot alone makes no sense. If he is unfit to fly there should be mandatory notification.
Honored Contributor

On 3/30/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

It could be that he intentionally took too many meds all at one time, which may have put him in a 'daze' or something similar. We will never know, unfortunately.

Doubtful, and some bodies have been recovered. He was very methodical on that day, he was the one that manipulated the pilot into leaving the cockpit.