Honored Contributor

Re: Do you carry anything on you for protection?

[ Edited ]

I have a selection of items I can carry as it depends on where I am and what I am doing.  I don't find that one thing works in all situations.

That would make my answer a yes.

Honored Contributor

I live in Manhattan and feel safer walking around here than I ever did when living in the suburbs where you rarely see anyone else walking and not much car traffic.   

There's always other people on the streets and lots of traffc.  But - you do have to be alert.

A friend once mentioned going by the local precinct and asking about pepper spray ... but we never did it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

The only protection I've sometimes thought I should carry would be my cell phone so that if I fall or collapse, there'd be a way to notify someone, a way I could be identified.

side note on this...people who are diabetics or have an allergy, wear ID bracelets.  All of you could do the same thing.  My dad use to walk, when he was in good health and he had one.  You can get them even if you ride a bike.  We had them for that ijn the event of a mishap and they needed to call for help. (This is not for protection, just personal safety).

Trusted Contributor

I don’t walk alone anymore, however I do carry mace.

I feel comfortable when out with DH. Not only is he a pilot, but an FFDO and Fed. Marshall.

He carries. 

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

I like the idea another poster posted:  A personal sized hairspray.  Heavily scented.  Cap off and ready to spray.  Being very aware and careful also helps.  Don't walk alone in isolated areas and avoid night time walks.   Take off those ear buds so we are able to 'hear' what's happening around or behind us.  (Cars, etc., etc.)

side note on this too.........carry a small sprayer filled with dish soap and water.  You know how soap in the eyes is!!

Honored Contributor

Quality Gal:  Yes! A spray bottle filled with liquid soap! Great idea.   And maybe scent it with a strong essential oil, such as eucalyptus or peppermint, etc.  (Hey, I spelled eucalyptus correctly, lol.).   The 'perp' might think it's pepper spray, and 'take a hike'.  It wouldn't hurt to add a bit of food coloring, too.  Just as an obvious marker so the authorities can easily 'spot' him. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I do not, nor have I ever considered carrying anything. 

Frequently I walk alone in NYC.  On the rare occasion I've felt uncomfortable with my surroundings, I walked faster.

Honored Contributor

Yes.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel wrote:

@dex wrote:

@chrystaltree My dh told me if possible go for the attackers eyes and if they grab you from behind try to go limp and slide out of their grasp. I would try to gouge their eyes while screaming from fear and disgust.

I read that if you puke on an attacker, he will probably leave you alone after that.

One cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

I eat Burger King before I go for walks.

It doesn't matter if one had a seven-course meal beforehand, one still cannot make themselves vomit at the spur of the moment.

I

Honored Contributor

Birdie Gal:  Thank him for his service.  We are only as safe as our day-to-day protectors. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).