Esteemed Contributor

No. I have tried, but can't stick with it.

I'd be afraid to write down my deepest and darkest thoughts. That could easily come back to haunt me. And if was found out after I die, my kids would be mortified.

Honored Contributor

Yes ... several for different subjects.  I keep individual notebooks.  There's a stack of them on the bookcase next to the bed.  I generally write for about 1/2 to 1 hour each evening.

Respected Contributor

I used to when I was in H.S. and maybe even junior high. But then my mom read it and used anything I said against me and that was the last time I did that. I love writing but I can't being myself to having a journal ever again.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@NycVixen wrote:

I used to when I was in H.S. and maybe even junior high. But then my mom read it and used anything I said against me and that was the last time I did that. I love writing but I can't being myself to having a journal ever again.

@NycVixen  You aren't going to believe this, but I just wrote something similar and immediately deleted it.  I know what that kind of betrayal feels like, and I'm sorry.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@NycVixen wrote:

@NycVixen  You aren't going to believe this, but I just wrote something similar and immediately deleted it.  I know what that kind of betrayal feels like, and I'm sorry.

@JeanLouiseFinch Wow, by your tone I know it's true. My DH just said to me, "You'll be able to have another journal soon" and I said, "I can never do that again". Only someone that went through that sort of betrayal can understand. I'm sorry you know how that feels. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

I don't.  I like to write and I tried it at several points in my life but I never could keep it up.  It just seemed boring and pointless after a while.

Valued Contributor

I have too much to do to write about what I have done or how I felt. Life is too short for me to spend that much time focusing on myself. I have a friend who journals all the time so that she can really remember how she felt and what she saw in her travels or how she is trying to be happy. She could spend the time traveling more and forget about always taking her own emotional temperature and she might enjoy life more. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do You Journal?

[ Edited ]

I think a lot people don't give themselves enough credit and have a more interesting life than they realize. Whether someone is retired or still working you have a wealth of information that I would love to read and learn about pertaining to the job you have.  

Honored Contributor

No journal..........but I have always kept a daily calendar.   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Journal?

[ Edited ]

@jewel3 wrote:

I have too much to do to write about what I have done or how I felt. Life is too short for me to spend that much time focusing on myself. I have a friend who journals all the time so that she can really remember how she felt and what she saw in her travels or how she is trying to be happy. She could spend the time traveling more and forget about always taking her own emotional temperature and she might enjoy life more. 

@jewel3 I learned from the well known book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People", that it's very beneficial to spend time each week alone reflecting on what you've done so you can learn from your mistakes and to have a better understanding of yourself.  

As someone who has traveled quite a lot, I can tell you that the best part sometimes is not the trip itself, but the endless utility one gets before and after anticipating and reliving those moments and savoring the memories. Your friend sounds like a wise person and her method allows her to truly remember and make the most of every trip. Some do it with pictures and others with words. Whatever works. 

I would say life is too short not to spend enough time getting to know yourself before anyone else. Self dialogue IMO is important for well-being and fundamental for happiness. It brings comfort and gives you the tools necessary to face any situation.

I always tell my DH we both need to know who we are and what makes us happy before we can do the same for each other. 

~Live with Intention~