Honored Contributor

Re: Did you wear a POW bracelet?

@151949 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

interesting thread......

i did not wear one and i have never even heard of them until i began reading this thread.

I wonder how old you are? Almost everyone wore them during the Viet Nam war.

i am 54.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

Yes.  Mine was  1LT Bruce C. Walker.

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/54072/BRUCE-C-WALKER

I was able to return the bracelet to his family just within the last few years.

He died on a mission to rescue LTC Iceal "Gene" Hambleton, call sign Bat 21, after his plane was shot down.  The mission and rescue were the subject of a book and a movie starring Gene Hackman...Bat 21.

I've seen bracelets for sale on ebay and it makes me sad.  If you have a bracelet and no longer want or need it. please contact togetherweserved.com.  That's how I found LT Walker's daughter.  They contacted her, she contacted me.  (He was LT on my bracelet, promoted posthumously to CAPT.)

OMG, I can't even imagine the bizarreness of selling them on ebay. Ugh!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Yes, Capt Melvin XX, (maybe he doesn't want his name here).... He came home thank goodness, and I saw it in the newspaper!  He spent many years in Vietnamese captivity. I just looked him up, and he is a decorated war veteran!  

Today, Remembering all the precious souls who gave their lives so we can be free. Trying to spend my free time wisely.  How blessed we are to live in the USA. 

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

My husband and I both wore POW bracelets from the Vietnam war.

We were lucky to view the Vietnam Wall when it came to our local area many, many years ago.  We made name tracings from the wall which we still have along with our bracelets.  The family of the soldier on my husband's bracelets actually lived not too far from where we live.  It was a very moving experience.

The Wall came to your area????

Respected Contributor

i did wear the bracelet for a POW. he was and Officer in the USAF and he had been captured in 1966   i wore it until he was shown on TV stepping off the plane in March 1973...very exciting to see his safe return.

this is an alpha list of POWs returned alive:

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/09_POWs/pow_rvn_detail.html

Respected Contributor

i found his tribute page:

Hubert E. Buchanan, Capt. 0-3 USAF

http://veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=1707

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've contacted the Viet Nam Veterans Memorial Fund in Washington..  they take everything placed at the Wall and are going to have a Viet Nam Educational Center with all of that and etc.  I've asked them if they'd take my bracelet for safe keeping..  I read if the remains of a POW/MIA was brought home, it might be too painful for the family and bring up too much.. so I am waiting for word back from the head curator..  We will also be adding this Memorial Fund to our donations this year..    

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/24432/JAMES-L-HUARD

https://vietnamera.org/education-center

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

I always feel bad for the POWMIAs.

Imagine all of the deep, psychological scars that have/had, that haunt them to this very day, of being captured and tortured, starved, beaten.

Then they were expected to smile and act happy and pick up civilian life and go on as if nothing had happened.

Yes, very sad indeed, and that's why my heart goes out to them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did for Capt. Lawrence Booth, MIA 10/16/1969. I wore the bracelet until 1980 when I needed surgery and the nurses made me remove it. It wasn't returned to me, or I'd still have in on. His plane was lost over Laos, wreckage not found. Presumed dead, body not recovered.

Trusted Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@WORKING GAL wrote:

My husband and I both wore POW bracelets from the Vietnam war.

We were lucky to view the Vietnam Wall when it came to our local area many, many years ago.  We made name tracings from the wall which we still have along with our bracelets.  The family of the soldier on my husband's bracelets actually lived not too far from where we live.  It was a very moving experience.

The Wall came to your area????

@Shawnie

There is a scaled down version of the wall that is set up and then taken down after a specific period of time in different cities throughout the year.  I don't know how the host cities are chosen.  I know that it was in Oneonta, NY over the weekend.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~