Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@Q4u

Sorry to inform you of this but if you google your own name ,you will find everythng you ever said here, right there for the world to see.

Not from my real name, and I have a couple of variations (I just double checked).  ONLY If I plug in Q4U it does, but that makes sense since I am participating in a discussion using the acronym on QVC's boards.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is never privacy on any site-

Haven't caught up yet but, a quick reply for the individual who asked if location can be accessed by IP-If I'm repeating please forgive me--I've written this previously but will post a gain.

Depending on the program, if you are taking part or just visiting on a site the owner/moderator has access to a great deal of information.

Such as, and this is typical:

Your location with a flag and a map

The program you use/with pixels and all information

If you are using mobile or computer

Who your server/carrier is

If it is a computer

All that can in fact be traced

Mobile traces hit cell towers all along your route from one tower to your destination, with flags on a map-

A moderator (depending on their permissions) can see how many times you visit, if you are a new visitor or not, the program keeps a record-

When on a site they can see what you read, how long, what you search, where you go, where you came from, if the page you land on was a marked page, if you are reading messages, if you are writing a message and what search engine you used to get there. How long you have visited collectively, how many times etc., all kept as a record.

The information is intense-we are not private-

The only real change I have seen is that Google no longer allows anyone to see what was actually searched that took them to a page.

As far as the searching yourself-yes, we know we are searching, but the information we find with a name, if we exist, can be just as intense.

Respected Contributor

So much about nothing, I don't even now where to start.  Too many "I don't care, I don't mean to, I don't mean to say ..." 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Talking about different forums,

I can't imagine why a.n.y.o.n.e. would want to register for

that Las Vegas forum an old QVC poster started.  

That one person has access to your IP address and

everything posted there & here.   If that's not good info,

I'll stand corrected, but how can the owner of that site not

have my personal information?  No, thanks. 

The owner of this Q site has way more info about you, including your order history & CCs used.  People don't have to disclose there who they are here if they don't wish to. "That one person" has proven trustworthy time and time again. *shrugs* 

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

So much about nothing, I don't even now where to start.  Too many "I don't care, I don't mean to, I don't mean to say ..." 

Nothing to ridicule, so ridicule that there's nothing to ridicule. Rather pointless tactic.

But others may take note. @silentgirl ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Thank you @Moonchilde Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

You're welcome, @silentgirl 😎

Honored Contributor

Interesting thread.  I Googled my name and since it's a fairly common one (first clue) a famous published professor and I share a first & last name.  So she takes up the first three pages. I didn't bother to go further.

What I didn't see here is anyone mention if they have an online business.  I do (another clue) and I have my hometown & state listed.  It helps my customers to feel more confident in purchasing from me. I'm curious as to what others do with online businesses?

In 8 years of having this business I've never had a problem but then anything could happen at any time anywhere. Next month I'm flying to Ft. Lauderdale (another personal clue as to who I am) which is the same airport that had a terror attack earlier this winter. I'm not thrilled with it but it's something I must do.

I agree a little common sense can go a long way but we can't live in constant fear of everything.

Honored Contributor

Like with everything in life, just be 'safety smart' as much as possible.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Interesting thread.  I Googled my name and since it's a fairly common one (first clue) a famous published professor and I share a first & last name.  So she takes up the first three pages. I didn't bother to go further.

What I didn't see here is anyone mention if they have an online business.  I do (another clue) and I have my hometown & state listed.  It helps my customers to feel more confident in purchasing from me. I'm curious as to what others do with online businesses?

In 8 years of having this business I've never had a problem but then anything could happen at any time anywhere. Next month I'm flying to Ft. Lauderdale (another personal clue as to who I am) which is the same airport that had a terror attack earlier this winter. I'm not thrilled with it but it's something I must do.

I agree a little common sense can go a long way but we can't live in constant fear of everything.

I don't have a business, but someone I know has three FB IDs - as the business itself (name of business), as herself to deal with her aspects of the business and for friends she's made through the business, and business-friend contacts, and her own personal private page that has nothing to do with the business. She's very wise to understand it's the best and safest idea not to mix them.