Respected Contributor

My daughter is going to a Bar Mitzvah tomorrow.  I plan on giving money.  Would you give cash or a check?  TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

A check--then you know the person received it.

Honored Contributor

Depends on the amount and security of the event.  If it's $50 or under, I do cash.  More than that, I like a check even though I know it is a PIA these days because most people hate driving to the bank.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

My daughter is going to a Bar Mitzvah tomorrow.  I plan on giving money.  Would you give cash or a check?  TIA.

It doesn't really matter.  I'm sure the young man will receive both.

Trusted Contributor

I am reluctant to use checks unless I have no other choice.  Too many unethical people out there today...your account number is on the bottom of the check....l would go with cash tucked into a nice card. 

Honored Contributor

Always a check. Cash can get lost...

Honored Contributor

cash or a gift card.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I usually give cash. 

Honored Contributor

At this type of event when it is not "one on one" I would do a check.  Sometimes with so much going on cash is stuck in a pocket and just spent at random in the near future.  With a check some thinking of what to do with the money will be more likely.

My late Grandmother loved to give cash but hated to do it with men she just knew her gift was being spent at a local convenience store or fast food restaurant just because it had been put in their wallet.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Regular Contributor

I'd give an AmEx gift card. Cash is better than a check. Checks are seldom used today and raise suspicion in some.