Honored Contributor

Can You Recommend A Non-Drying Styling Product?

My hair has been feeling dry lately, so I changed my shampoo and conditioner and have invested in a new hairdryer. 

Still feels dry to me.  I've been using Bumble & Bumble grooming cream, the only variable left.

I know for sure mousse dries my hair out, I'm hoping someone can recommend something else.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: Can You Recommend A Non-Drying Styling Product?

I don't know how you like to style your hair, so I don't know what will work for you. I really like the Shea Moisture products for my wavy/curly hair. They make great cream products, a mousse similar to the WEN mousse, and a gel that shouldn't leave hair dry. I use the Coconut and Hibiscus line for curly hair, but they make make many other products for other hair types.

Honestly, the best thing I did for my dry hair was ditching shampoo and going to conditioner only washing. You may want to give it a try over a weekend - just use whatever conditioner you use now to wash your hair instead of your shampoo and see what happens. Giving up shampoo was scary, but it made a huge difference in my hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response, Chynna Blue!  I never heard of just using conditioner, that is scary, lol.

I have straight fine hair.  I get a cut, color and highlights every other month, a touch up every month in-between.  Have you seen the new ombre hair coloring?  That's how mine looks.  The length is longer than short, but not to my shoulders. I use brushes and the hairdryer to put waves/curls in.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Noel! 

When Ojon was first owned by it's promoters, it was good.  When it was sold to China it became junk.  I would have recommended that product but if you locate one with the same or like ingredients, it might be your winning ticket. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I used WEN exculsively for several years, but reconsidered shampoo a couple of months ago.  I ended up buying a Nick Chavez shampoo and condition duo one night, along with his Mesquite Serum and a set of hair sprays.  I still use WEN, but alternate with the NC now.  The Mesquite Serum isn't a styling product per se, but it's really nice for making my hair soft.  While I'm still in the shower, I add one pump of the serum to wet hair, after it's been washed, conditioned, and well rinsed.  For styling, I'm still using WEN Styling Cream and WEN Volumizing Treatment Spray.

Super Contributor

I love Bedhead Manipulator cream.  I have short hair, but I can just about do anything I want with my hair with this product.  Since it is a cream, it is very moisturizing.  I get mine at Ulta, it is sometimes at Walmart or I can find it at a Target superstore.  I hope you will try it and love it too. Just a dime size rubbed together on your palms like lotion then run through your hair.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Hi Noel! 

When Ojon was first owned by it's promoters, it was good.  When it was sold to China it became junk.  I would have recommended that product but if you locate one with the same or like ingredients, it might be your winning ticket. 

**********************************************************************************

You can still get the Original Ojon Revitalizing Mist, the fabulous orange colored mist, they brought it back, now sold by Origins.

Noel, I use this Ojon mist, comb through, followed by a mist of Nick Chavez Amazon Infinity Mist, comb through, style as usual.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

You want to look for alcohol free styling products. Bumble and Bumble is a good line, they have some great products.

I don't really use styling products on my hair. It is hard to find some that are non drying. I don't really have a style that requires lots of hold. I have long hair with long layers and side swept bangs. After I wash and condition my hair, I towel dry it and apply conditioner to it about the size of a dime and apply to my ends and up to the middle of my hair. It protects it when I blow it out or straighten it and provides UV protection.

I know some of Wens products are really moisturizing too but you could probably get any type of sulfate free shampoo (or cleansing conditioner) to help out with dryness. I hear their 613 product is pretty moisturizing but again, if you don't want the expense of Wen I am sure you could find something comperable at Sallys.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I'll be back, just popped in for a minute.  Out of the shower, I didn't use any styling product this time, I'll see what it's like in more or less a natural state.

Thank you all, I'll be back for the details Heart

Honored Contributor

Again, thank you all, I'm copying down recommendations and how-tos.

Well, no product on my hair and it's still dry.  I guess I'll have to talk to my stylist, see what he has to say.  I don't mind buying a more expensive product IF it's going to work, but I hate trial and error.

IRSH, I went over reviews for a new hair dryer, the Rusk W8less dryer got a lot of good reviews, so I ordered that from Amazon, $90 there.  I like it a lot, my other hairdryer was running too hot, that might have added to the problem.  Weird, though... the new one has the heat controls right where I put my thumb, so I kept shutting it off. 

If it isn't one thing, it's another, LOL!