Honored Contributor

Re: CHILDREN DRESSED IN THEIR BEST ON A LONG-AGO EASTER

My Sunday School teacher grandmother made sure my cousin, brother and I were dressed in our finest for Easter Services.   

Mamaw made sure I had some of the cutest hats and dresses, and Papaw always paid for a new pair of shiny black patent leather shoes.   The owner of the store where we usually shopped, would set aside a couple of the cutest dresses with me in mind.   That sweet lady just died about 2 years ago.   

I still have the only Easter purse I ever remember, along with a little gold bracelet my Papaw bought me.   

I also remember when I put my foot down and said NO MORE Easter dresses, as I was tired of being Mamaw’s dress up doll.   There were NO Easter frills for my girls, although Mamaw definitely wanted to buy cute dresses for her great granddaughters, but she got over it. 

Trusted Contributor

My mom was a beautiful seamstress. I was proud of everything she made.  I remember one particular dress for Easter which was lavender colored with the rick-rack going around.  So pretty. 

This isnt Easter related but I remember I had some black leather shoes with the strap going across the top. My cousin had black patent, which I thought were so pretty. I smeared Vaseline all over my shoes, thinking everyone would be fooled that I had shiny patent leather. I went outside and went walking around, waiting for the first person to notice my “new” shiny shoes.  After a bit, I looked down and discovered all the dust had been sticking to them. I didn’t try that again. 

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

anyone remember the big sugared eggs that you looked into, and saw a beautiful scene?

@kittyloo I have a pink one that is about 40 years old. After 6 moves, I can’t believe it’s still in one piece.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband’s family were farmers and didn’t have much. They dressed the kids up one Easter for Church and they each got a chocolate egg. 

My husband knew his older brother would take his egg so he hid it under the hub cap on the car.  

After Church he looked for his egg and all he found was melted chocolate!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Found this photo on Pinterest in a search for my favorite Easter bonnet (I remember it fondly and hoped it might pop up).  Oddly enough, the woman in the photo looks a bit like my mother when she was a young mom.

Easter bonnets; a new dress and Easter hat every Easter to wear to church

Esteemed Contributor

I still have pictures of my sister and I in the beautiful navy coats with white collars and cuffs our mother made for us.  We each had a new purse, hat and white gloves.  Oh, and of course the patent leather shoes.  Our dear mother was an amazing seamstress, all learned as a young girl while growing up in Germany.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

I remember as a small girl wearing a new Easter dress, bonnett, white gloves, patent leather shoes, and carrying a little pocketbook.  I enjoyed getting dressed up.  

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

An Easter Dress, bonnet, topper, patent leather shoes, a Lily plant from my dad and of course baskets filled with goodies, this was Easter.  We ate at grandma's, delicious Italian  feast and at the other grandma's, Kielbasa, babka, hard boiled eggs, ham all blessed at the Slavic church.  

Now my tradition is watching the Ten Commandments which I DVR because of all the commercials.  I love that cast of thousands epic movie !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I remember putting vaseline on my patent leather shoes!!

REAL “patent” leather cracks if you look at it. My mom always did it, and mine always cracked anyway!

Esteemed Contributor

I had a great-aunt who was an accomplished seamstress.  She never had children of her own and used to make me beautiful hand-smocked dresses (even for school).  The smocking was done from the collar to the waist.  My very favorite was a light grey dress, smocked in white and blue, with a white laced trim collar.  Those were the days!