Honored Contributor

Re: CHILDREN DRESSED IN THEIR BEST ON A LONG-AGO EASTER

What sweet memories!

Respected Contributor

I loved getting my Easter basket. Nothing better than a big bite of chocolate bunny ears. 😋I loved dyeing eggs too. I couldn’t wait to get out of the clothes.🤣

Honored Contributor

@Oznell,

Thanks for the memory,

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/happy-easter-kids-letters-37984273.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Back in da day, all little girls wore a straw hat & patent leather (shined w/vaseline) black or white buckled shoes like the one in the photo on Easter Sunday.

Thanks for posting.  I remember having a little straw bag, hat and gloves.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

anyone remember the big sugared eggs that you looked into, and saw a beautiful scene?

Respected Contributor

My grandmother and aunt sewed. My sister's and I would have a smocked dress and matching light wool pastel coat every year. I still remember buying the white patent shoes and the way the shoe store smelled.

When my grandmother passed, that tradition passed with her. Although my aunt continued to sew for my stepdaughter.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo   Yes, I remember them and now I know that the Easter Bunny made a special trip to a German American owned confectionary on Bergen Avenue every year so that I would have a couple of them in my basket.  I could make up elaborate stories about the scenes you could see when you looked inside.   This would entertain me for hours. 

The magic of those and the giant hollowed out chocolate egg that had more wrapped chocolate inside it and the Barracini foil covered eggs from New York City I think, and the green tinted marzipan shaped acorns with dark chocolate caps and the raspberry  from jelly filled dark chocolate squares.

Okay, now I want a new spring outfit and a candy filled basket . . . 

Respected Contributor

We didn't get Easter baskets. Ever. Easter in my family was and is strictly a religious observance. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Easter was a big deal in my very religious family, every kid was all decked out in their new Easter finery at church. We were poor, but it seemed like my parents could always afford new fancy clothes and shoes at Easter time. I hated dressing up, but I did like the wonderful Easter baskets filled with all kind of bunnies, chicks and decorated eggs my grandma put together for us.

Respected Contributor

I have pictures of my brother and I on Easter Sunday. Funny today to look back at them. He couldn’t stay still and always looked rumpled. He gets back at me because I always had one foot turned sideways. Nice memories.