Honored Contributor

CHILDREN DRESSED IN THEIR BEST ON A LONG-AGO EASTER

This little lady and gent were stepping out in style.  So precious!

Honored Contributor

Re: CHILDREN DRESSED IN THEIR BEST ON A LONG-AGO EASTER

Back in da day, all little girls wore a straw hat & patent leather (shined w/vaseline) black or white buckled shoes like the one in the photo on Easter Sunday.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How well I remember the excitement of getting a new Easter outfit every year!  For me, it was all about the Easter bonnet and new Easter purse.  For some reason, my mother always took me to Hendrickson's in my hometown for my bonnet (and usually purse).  I think they had the most lovely selection for elementary school girls.

As I grew older, I went by myself to Bell's Millinery, the walls of which had a mass selection of all styles in the same color at different points within the store.   You turned around in a rainbow room.

Innocent times.

Mz iMac,

Thank you for reminding me of the patent leather shoes.  Sometimes the Easter purse was made of patent leather, too.

Respected Contributor

Oh, how I dreaded the Easter and Christmas outfits that I was made to wear as a child. Starched, stiff and scratchy. They were always purchased by some elderly relatives, and were of course what they thought a little girl should wear, but I hated them. You'd be hard pressed to find a photo of me smiling in them. My mom said they were a lot of work for her to iron and keep presentable, but she didn't feel like she could say no to them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

In a family of humble means, my annual Easter dress/shoes were worn for all warm-weather formal occasions the rest of the year.  And always a photo in front of the lily-adorned church altar with Grandma and Grandpa.  Still prepare the holiday meal of baked ham, scalloped potatoes, baked asparagus, and deviled eggs, minus the chocolate bunny ears for dessert. 

Honored Contributor

Loved Easter as a child, always got new outfit and bonnet and Mom made a nice Easter dinner. I even got an ounce of Mogen David wine!

Now I have 2 little great nephews, somehow I don't think they will have the same experiences or memories. Sad. Times have changed.

Respected Contributor

Beautiful children.

Honored Contributor

My sister had a very similar outfit and hat.  I just hated wearing the dreaded  Easter outfit and hat!! Then there was the obligatory picture by the pink flowered tree in front of our house while holding our skirts out.  Thank goodness those days are gone!!

Honored Contributor

I remember putting vaseline on my patent leather shoes!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Easter meant new outfits and Church Sunday School with friends. My Mother sewed beautifully, and always the hat shoes & purse to match.  

There were gorgeous baskets with a chocolate rabbit that kept getting shorter because Papa was nibbling him from the bottom!

My first  memory was waking up in my crib with Mama & Papa smiling and at the foot was a huge Easter egg.