Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does anyone else find it strange that the parents are already talking about suing both the school and the parents of the children who bullied their daughter? The last thought I would have would be litigation if my daughter had died. They certainly seem proactive about litigation ...

I saw both of them on the News. Very composed and blaming everyone but themselves...

I thought they were rather 'together' as well. It has been a very short time, and I can see them wanting to be proactive to bring this to light, to prevent it happening to others, a way many people cope with loss and tragedy.

And I guess they might feel like they tried the 'right' route with the school and parents, and it got them nothing, and they have to do something that will make an impact (and lawsuits can do that).  

I did think it a bit suspicious that they were suing already, but I can only imagine being in that position, and feeling I had to do something.

@MominohioI just thought when they were interviewed that there would be more on their mind than suing. The beautiful photos of their daughter and who she was.....the video of her doing a dance routine. She was such a lovely young woman. It was just heartbreaking.

I guess you could say it alarmed me that anything to do with $$$ would be in their thought processes before they had even buried their precious daughter.

@Trinity11Mallory died in June.  I believe the parents announced the lawsuit in the past few days, if not hours.

Grief knows no limits on what one should/should not say nor does grief have it etched in stone what a thought process should be.

As I said in another post, legislation and new laws often stem from lawsuits.  If a lawsuit ends up with Mallory's Law being legislated, then just one more teen/adolescent can be helped.

No law will bring back their daughter. When people bully laws don't stop them.

@Trinity11  Laws don't stop murderes, rapists, thieves, either.  But a lawsuit may just open up a dialogue in their neck of the woods and hopefully open the eyes of some PARENTS who think this is just a "joke".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

"@Mominohio  I completely agree with you. To add: parents need to be parents, not "friends". Teachers need to be teachers, not parents in absentia, or "psychologist/social workers" dealing with horrendous behavior.

You said:

"My son is now 21, and we didn't allow any social media for him until he was 17. He avoided a lot of the drama that goes on during middle and high school, and actually was grateful to us after he did start to participate, that we had kept him out of it for so long."

"One of the first things parents have to do is cut the technology use, and monitor heavily what they do allow."

That is exactly what I did with my two children, now adults. I did not give them a cell phone until they started high school, and the phone was a basic "no frills, no text, no internet" phone, for emergencies only. They did not have access to Facebook until they were in their junior year. I monitored internet at home and neither of them had a computer in their bedroom. We had a central computer they used.

My daughter now teaches second grade in a Title1 school where all the children are considered "poor". All get free breakfast, lunch and dinner. All school supplies are provided by the school district as well as backpacks and many other free things for them and their parents. These "families" are on public assistance. These same children come into school with iPhones, designer clothes, all the latest gadgets. What they never come to school with are school supplies or completed homework. Very few are there to learn, and the few that are cannot because the disruptive ones make it impossible. They physically fight with others to include punching and kicking the teachers. One actually made a "shank" intending to stab his fourth-grade teacher. The school district does not discipline these kids and the teachers are not allowed to "speak harshly to them" or send them to the office for discipline. It is all about "understanding" and "loving" and worrying about their self-esteem. 

There are 22 - 26 of these kids in a classroom. If one is being violent, the other 21-25 kids must leave the classroom, while the violent one gets to destroy the classroom. This is the district and principal's policy, not my daughter's. There is a no violence or bullying policy, but it is not followed at all from what I have observed. The kids bully the teachers and when they walk off school grounds, violent fights take place continuing what went on during lunch or hall skirmishes..

She has tried to transfer out of the school, but because she is an award-winning teacher that administration "loves" because she is so effective, she cannot get out of that school. Her principal will not let her go. She is now considering leaving teaching next year because of all of this. 

To her credit, she does manage to improve these kids scores every year. She does get the kids that come in at the beginning of the year unable to read, reading near their grade level when they leave her, or she gets them in special education.  But she is in danger every day.

One wonders how a child gets to second through fifth grade and beyond unable to read. What a mess we have.

"I needed to rant, because I have spent the whole summer helping paint and decorate her classroom for the coming year, knowing these children will come in and destroy everything as they do every year. Every summer she spends $1500 on her classroom to make it beautiful for the kids in the hope that they will want to take care of the nice environment."   

edited for typo

Wow @CatLoverDogsToo

Your daughter is sorely needed where she is, but I can see that she can't even begin to be effective because of the lack of support from administration. And I'm afraid this is the case in many more districts across the nation. 

I honestly don't know how we have gotten to the place where so many schools are such a failing place, other than the ever unpopular and politically incorrect notion that the breakdown of the family unit, where kids are supposed to be taught first, has crumbled in this country.

It used to be about poverty, but so many 'rich' district schools are facing similar issues, as parents are too wrapped up in their own lives and relationships they don't parent first.

So as not to be accused of including 'all' in this view, we all know great families, great teachers, nice and wonderful kids and even school districts that are performing wonderfully and turning out smart and engaged students. 

It's just that I believe there are fewer of them all the time.

Oh and your first paragraph is profound. 

Honored Contributor

I am not familiar with that tragic case but that seems to be the case all those situations.  The parents go on tv and boo hoo hoo about all the harrassment and bullying that their children were "forced" to endure.  After the child is dead, they have a lot to say but in almost every case, they did little or nothing when their child was alive.  They they just forced the kid to go to school and be tortured every day.  I don't understand parents who do that, I don't understand parents who don't protect and advocate for their kids.  I understand that sometimes the principal doesn't "get it" and often they just don't want to deal with these issues and often the bullies are attractive and articulate and bullied...are not.  If I hit a brick wall, I'd yank my kid out of school and either move or home school or wait for the authorities to come after ME.  Because once the authorties come into the situation, everything can come out.  Even the school's inaction.  Yet, they do nothing.  Say nothing.  But they can say a lot after their kid is dead!  I feel sorry for those kids, everyone fails them....most of all their parents.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does anyone else find it strange that the parents are already talking about suing both the school and the parents of the children who bullied their daughter? The last thought I would have would be litigation if my daughter had died. They certainly seem proactive about litigation ...

I saw both of them on the News. Very composed and blaming everyone but themselves...

I'm not going to put myself in their shoes, and I'm certainly not going to judge them 

The parents went to the school and to the parents of the girl who did the bullying.  What blame do they shoulder?

Seriously?  Is that ALL they did?  If it is, then they own 100% of the blame for the child death.   You don't just leave your child in a dangerous situation because you had a chat with some kids parents. 

Honored Contributor
I have a question. Where do people get cyber bullied? On their own facebook pages or others' fb? And if it's their own...they can remove offensive posts or block anyone from posting? Or is there a *site* that is started and all you have to do is google the name? My grandchildren are all young. The ones old enough to text me do it from an ipad (i think that's what it is). They don't have fb or Twitter accts.
Honored Contributor

Kids are just that kids and they can be mean. As far as cyber bullying, you have a record of everything that transpires on that computer and phone. If my kid was being tortured by someone, I would take that info and go to the police with it. Kids are on their own too much and have very little guidance any more, technology is the parents and babysitter. Kids need to be able to stand up for themselves, for who they are and what they believe in. That way of thinking has to be instilled in a person from the cradle, not when they start school. There were no computers when I was in school, but we still had kids who were bullies. If you knew what was good for you, you fought it out or stayed away from the people who didn't like you.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

I'll get bashed for this, but I truly think social media is a curse on our kids. When I was in school (100 years ago), I was skinny and awkward, and my best friend was very large.  We made quite the pair walking down the hall, but any comments that may have been made were made in person in real time, and we were able to deal with them face to face.  No one ever committed suicide while I was there for 12 years. 

I agree, and what's worse, are the mealy mouthed parents that won't keep it out of the hands of their kids until they are older and able to use it responsibly. And in my opinion, 12 is not old enough for most kids. 

These parents want to be their kid's friend, not their parent. They don't want their kid to 'suffer' by not having and doing what everyone else does. They make excuses that 'this is how kids interact and socialize these days'.

Parents need to grow a pair and learn to say no. And mean it. I'd rather my kid not like me, than to be burying them, or having to deal with suicidal tendencies because they can't cope with things that they should be able to get away from for at least a part of each day.

@Mominohio  I couldn't have said it better myself.  I know a very conservative family with two boys who have never been allowed to participate in any of this, or even have cell phones.  Those two kids are the nicest, most responsible and well-adjusted teens I've seen in awhile. Their parents love them and they know it.  The oldest will be starting college here this month.  His mom is so proud of him.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure why the school is being blamed. When I taught the school was responsible for the children portal to portal. What happens before or after is the parents' responsibility.

The school didn't give the bullies the ability to use social media, their parents did. All the school could do would be to limit interaction on campus. 

It's up to each parent to monitor their child's social media account and frankly kids that age shouldn't be allowed to have social media. They don't have the maturity, plain and simple.

If some of this social media activity was taking place during school hours then the school should buckle down and ban cell phones. They can be turned on but not used. Parental outrage will ensue but the safety of the children comes first. High stakes punishment for using them during school hours.

Parents who have children that are being bullied on social media should hire a lawyer or seek free legal services, go to court and have a restraining order issued agains the bullies. These kids are bullies because it's acceptable to the parents or the parents don't believe it's bullying. Appearing before a judge would change that outlook in a hurry. If a celebrity can get a restraining order then a child can too- Have enough of those and the parents will sit up and take notice.

But again, children that young have no business having a social media presence and if they do then mom and dad should be looking at it daily. Parental responsibility and none of this "not my kid".

I'd be suing the bullies parents too and probably a lot sooner than these parents did. It wouldn't bring my daughter back but it could well save someone else's daughter from death or emotional damage. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:
I have a question. Where do people get cyber bullied? On their own facebook pages or others' fb? And if it's their own...they can remove offensive posts or block anyone from posting? Or is there a *site* that is started and all you have to do is google the name? My grandchildren are all young. The ones old enough to text me do it from an ipad (i think that's what it is). They don't have fb or Twitter accts.

@Lucky Charm  Just pure texting really mean things is all you need or my 12 year old niece said there are apps that kids can set up to send mean texts and pics to another person's phone.  No social media account needed.  Just your phone number.  

Kind of makes you wish for the days when you actually had to have the guts to say it to the person's face.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I'm not going to put myself in their shoes, and I'm certainly not going to judge them 

The parents went to the school and to the parents of the girl who did the bullying.  What blame do they shoulder?

Seriously?  Is that ALL they did?  If it is, then they own 100% of the blame for the child death.   You don't just leave your child in a dangerous situation because you had a chat with some kids parents. 

Excerpts from previously posted link: (emphisis added)

Nagel said the family went “all the way up the line” looking for help, approaching guidance counselors, teachers, the vice principal and principal of Copeland Middle School. Week after week, month after month, he said, “it fell on deaf ears.” 

The law requires that educators pay attention to whether a child is being hurt in a systematic way and investigate it, communicate with the parents of the hurt child and take steps to address it, including preventing further occurrences,” Green said. 

Dianne Grossman said Tuesday that she “followed the school’s protocol" and school officials told her they would investigate but nothing was ever done. 

Green helped craft New Jersey's anti-bullying law. He said the legislation was strong when it was written but now needs tweaking.

“The law has no specific discipline or measures put into it for when administrators and staff don't address the issue adequately,” Green said.

“No anti-bullying advocates feel that we are near the end of addressing this problem,” said Green. “We are nowhere near addressing it adequately.”

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.