Respected Contributor

Are we losing the word "are"?

Has anyone noticed that, more and more, we're hearing and reading "is" where "are" should be? For example, "There is only two things I eat..." or used in a contraction, such as, "Where's the magazines..."? It seems we're using the singular word "is" when referring to a plural noun, instead of "are". I'm hearing this even on T.V., being used by news anchors, television personalities, etc.  Why do you suppose this trend started? Is it just easier than saying it correctly?

Honored Contributor

Re: Are we losing the word "are"?

I don't believe that I have heard is being used instead of are.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I haven't noticed that, but what I have noticed, is that people are loosing the word "HAVE".

For example, they  say "could OF", or, "would OF", instead of saying, "would HAVE", or "could HAVE".

The words "Could've", "Should've" and "Would've" are contractions of the words "Would", "Could" and "Should" and "HAVE", not "Of".

Honored Contributor

@TexasmouseWhere's is definitely easier for me to say than where're.  I'd never thought about it though now that you mentioned what you're hearing, I just sat here and tried it.

I do remember from my studies in language history that one of the reasons language changes is that the spoken word always moves toward what is easiest to say.  I think you could be on to a language change.

I have no idea how long that takes although I do think change happens faster nowadays because of TV than it did 500 years ago.  Then change easily took a full century.

Respected Contributor

It isn't just the use of is vs are, of course.  The English language has been bastardized by ignorance and people who do not care.  Is that redundant?  Woman Wink

I wonder if we do not "hear it" because we do not recognize it when we do. Anything, if experienced often enough, can become routine, 'the norm,' and more prone to acceptance.  Pity.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Poor grammar isn't becoming a trend in my world.  I never hear ridiculous stuff like that.  

Trusted Contributor

I have not heard that yet, but my pet peeve is the fact that people do not conjugate anymore.  I have heard " I have went"  Don't they teach verbs in school anymore?

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

It isn't just the use of is vs are, of course.  The English language has been bastardized by ignorance and people who do not care.  Is that redundant?  Woman Wink

I wonder if we do not "hear it" because we do not recognize it when we do. Anything, if experienced often enough, can become routine, 'the norm,' and more prone to acceptance.  Pity.

I do not hear it because I never have. And yes, I would recognize it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I haven't noticed that, but what I have noticed, is that people are loosing the word "HAVE".

For example, they  say "could OF", or, "would OF", instead of saying, "would HAVE", or "could HAVE".

The words "Could've", "Should've" and "Would've" are contractions of the words "Would", "Could" and "Should" and "HAVE", not "Of".

@Plaid Pants2

Oh boy, you're not alone on that one!   Do people really not hear themselves?   

Another common mistake that just baffles me is when someone says (or writes)  "Try AND"   instead of "Try TO"  .....   as in "I'll try AND  go to the store" instead of I'll try TO go to the store  ..."    

What do they think "try and" actually means?

Not to derail the thread -----  @Texasmouse    

OP, I've never observed what you are noticing .... but I'm not surprised.

Respected Contributor

I think that those of you who said you haven't noticed it could have just become immune to it because it's EVERYWHERE, including on many of the posts on this board. (That's what prompted me to start this thread.) I think after we hear something long enough, it starts sounding "normal" to us and I think that's what's happening in general. For some reason, it still stands out to me, every time I hear it.