Honored Contributor

Re: Are we losing the word "are"?

@Texasmouse wrote:

I think that those of you who said you haven't noticed it could have just become immune to it because it's EVERYWHERE, including on many of the posts on this board. (That's what prompted me to start this thread.) I think after we hear something long enough, it starts sounding "normal" to us and I think that's what's happening in general. For some reason, it still stands out to me, every time I hear it.

Ok @Texasmouse. If you say I have heard it I guess I have. Thank you for letting me know.

Honored Contributor

I hear it from the illiterate and uneducated, but it depends on where you live and who you are around, how much you hear it. I do NOT hear it in the mainstream media, but I have heard similar on that Southern jewelry channel that makes me cringe in general to watch.

As for it replacing "are" - only if the English-speaking world ceases to care about grammar wholesale, altogether.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

Language changes over time.  It just happens as the language is, essentially, a living entity which changes as people change.

While I am sure Chaucer would have cringed at Shakespeare's writings, and Shakespeare would have cringed at our language today, it is something that happens.  How many of us could actually read and understand Chaucer or Shakespeare with no trouble -- I doubt many of us could (although many here like to think that they could). 

The fact is we do not own the language, and we cannot keep it from changing.  It is going to happen, and it is impossible to stop.

Respected Contributor

Not I, but more and more I hear 'me and him went'  or 'I knew I should have went' .   Drives me crazy.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

......because it's EVERYWHERE, including on many of the posts on this board.

I would never, ever use a chat-board forum to be

the Richter Scale of today's grammatical trends.  

And if we want to whip out the online 'red pen' to

correct the errors we see on this forum??

As they say, "Let the Games begin".

But remember....

"Every time you point a finger at someone,

there are 3 pointing back at you."

Just sayin'

Respected Contributor

This thread should be called Grammar/English 101. I've been corrected a few times myself on this forum. I guess we have a few English majors posting today.

Honored Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

I have not heard that yet, but my pet peeve is the fact that people do not conjugate anymore.  I have heard " I have went"  Don't they teach verbs in school anymore?

"Normal" to people is what they hear around them all the time, most of the time. They are presumably taught grammar all through school, but if their peers, their parents and their peers' parents, as well as the people they interact with daily at work, in stores, etc., use poor grammar they will too, and likely so will their kids - because we all need/want to sound like everyone else *we are around*, regardless of what we might be taught.

This is much less true, if true at all, when you grow up speaking correctly and move as an adult among those who don't. I am surrounded, since retirement, by those who misspeak constantly. Since I have no desire to sound like that, I won't. I not only know the difference, I CARE about the difference. Those who continue misspeaking as adults usually do know, they just don't care. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I haven't noticed that, but what I have noticed, is that people are loosing the word "HAVE".

For example, they  say "could OF", or, "would OF", instead of saying, "would HAVE", or "could HAVE".

The words "Could've", "Should've" and "Would've" are contractions of the words "Would", "Could" and "Should" and "HAVE", not "Of".

You mean "losing" the word' not "loosing." Typo? I have so many errors in my posts because I dictate into iPad, which makes errors, and I don't proofread carefully!

Esteemed Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

Poor grammar isn't becoming a trend in my world.  I never hear ridiculous stuff like that.  

Lucky you.......obviously you don't spend much time with a couple of my family members.....like nails on a chalkboard........

Trusted Contributor

True!  Our English language is being abused by a lot of us!

But I would not go so far as to say those that do are ignorant of the correct form of our language!  Sometimes we are more interested in getting our message across than being criticqued on the words we use!!  

I believe if most of us were tested we would pass the test!!Woman Wink