Occasional Contributor

Re: Anybody Still Get Real Christmas Trees?

i had planned to buy an artificial tree this year, but just could not bring myself to do it. Ordered a real tree from Trinity farms through QVC. Hope it is a good one!

Esteemed Contributor

We always get a real tree. They are worth the extra work.  They smell so wonderful and bring a real Christmas feeling to our home.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

we have always had a real tree.  wouldn't have it any other way.  it's more work, but worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had planned on setting up two artificial trees (allergies in the family).  We HAD an 8,' 6,' and 5.'  Found out yesterday that my husband threw them away!!!   Now he wants to go out and purchase a real tree.  No way.  I'm so incredibly angry.  After reading Alberti's post, I got all excited and purchased a gold star from Gump's, 2" wire ribbon at Costco, Owls for my granddaughter (these were all for the tree); then, golden glass finials from another post and small gold wire trees to go on the mantle with the finials and all else gold and white/glear.

I just want it to go away. 

Trusted Contributor

We still get a real tree. We live in an area where there are several sustainable tree farms and we buy from one of them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your post brought back some fond memories as a kid growing up in the 50s.  Back then, most people had only live trees..(the exception was the silver metallic trees with the rotating color wheel...which were just introduced to the public.)

Back then, many people didn't put their live trees up to decorate until Christmas Eve.  It was my father's place to get the tree and bring it home on Christmas Eve.  Every year, he picked a beautiful tree...except for one year..LoL..  His workplace had changed the date of their company party to Christmas Eve.  Well, apparently, he had too much "cheer" and hadn't picked the tree before he went to the party.   By the time he got to the tree lot, all the good trees were gone.  The only option he had was getting two ugly, bare, leftover trees that he had to saw and wire together.  What a tree fiasco!  

Even still, as kids we didn't care..just as long as we could decorate it before Santa came that night.   It still brings a smile to my face when I think about it. 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I prefer a fresh tree. 

Honored Contributor

We haven't had a real tree since I was a child.  I'm paranoid.  When I was in the 7th grade, a friend's home burned down when their tree caught fire.  Granted in those days, trees dried out quickly and lights were not as safe, but it left an indelible mark on me.

We have three 7'+ artificial trees I am in the process of decorating. (I'm on the last one)

We do have fresh greens on some of our mantles that leave the house smelling wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

We did the Xmas tree farm thing for our oldest child's 2nd Xmas. So much fun but as he was just toddling around, vacuuming daily and picking needles from his feet was not. Now we use a pre-lit faux tree.

I love the evergreen scent so I use the pine scented sticks I found at Michael's inside the tree and use fresh greens on the mantle, around the front door and in arrangements, instead.
Respected Contributor

I live in a dry climate and have two cats, so no real tree for me.  I also like my tree up for at least a full month and being able to have the lights on every day. You can't do that with a real tree.

Pre-kitties I did get a live tree  once and after XMas, I planted it in my back yard. It grew into a beautiful 30 foot pine tree.  I felt much better doing it that way than buying a cut tree and just throwing it away after the holidays.

~Enough is enough~