Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody Still Get Real Christmas Trees?

I love real trees!

Had them for years and then got a cat. After a couple of 3AM tree crashes and too many ornaments as play toys, then wiring the tree to the heaviest and closest piece of furniture, I gave up, Then tried the artificial tree....not nearly as inviting but there were still those dreaded crashes, but without water anyway!

Today, with two cats I have a lovely decorated home for Christmas, minus the tree. They don't seem at all interested, for the long haul, with what I do have up!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I have an artificial tree (don't put it up anymore) and everyone that came to our home swore it was a live tree.  The artificial I have now while pretty, looks artificial. 

We heat our house with a woodburning stove and have always had at least 1 dog so there is no live for us coming in this house.  With our heating situation we'd be able to put it up x-mas eve and it would have to come down the day after x-mas..if it made it that long.  LOL

I used to do the tree farm thing with my relative and her son. We'd be out there for hours trudging around to find the perfect tree.  We always had a blast though.  But last year, she gave up and bought a tree from Balsam Hill and loves it.  It is absolutely gorgeous.

@lulu2, about 20 years ago a house on the corner of our street caught fire from the lights  but it wasn't on a live tree.  Luckily it wasn't a total loss but I can't imagine the devistation. 

Because of that, I won't leave any of my holiday lights on when we aren't home or if we are going to bed. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3

I love what you posted, Cakers3!

If a person has the room, buying one which can be re-planted is just wonderful!!!!  If not, try and donate it.  That's a lovely thought.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@birkin baby

That must be terrible having to wear that all day.  You would think that they could make accommodations considering that you have a problem with it.  I had not even thought of that.  

And yes, I always think about that, too.  There is a lot close to where I live and they cut the trees so early and you know they are going to be all dried out way too soon.  There are always a lot of trees left over afterwards.  It is a terrible waste.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@birkin baby

That must be terrible having to wear that all day.  You would think that they could make accommodations considering that you have a problem with it.  I had not even thought of that.  

And yes, I always think about that, too.  There is a lot close to where I live and they cut the trees so early and you know they are going to be all dried out way too soon.  There are always a lot of trees left over afterwards.  It is a terrible waste.  

🎄🌲 The one caveat is that I don't even look at any Christmas treats out for snacking.... it's too much trouble to take the mask away.LOL!  I  definitely am happy when they take that dried up dead tree out after  the season ends!   When I put up my tree I don't decorate the bottom third because my cats think it's a toy store of ornaments and my dogs tails are always threatening to swipe some baubles down.  The bottom just has lights .