Respected Contributor

We have been Amazon Prime members for many, many years. Never had a problem with 2 day shipping. It was a God-send during the Christmas season! Compared to QVC's shipping, handling and the prices they charge...Amazon wins hands down in all catagories.

Honored Contributor

@CatLoverDogsToo wrote:

I have been a Prime subscriber for many years. I have noticed that when you place the order, there is a box now asking if you would like to acccept 4-5 day shipping for a $5 credit to the pantry. Is it possible that you inadvertantly checked that box? This seems to be a relatively new thing, and it has been popping up on my check-out screen, already checked for the past few months. I have had to uncheck it to select 2 day shipping.  If that isn't it, then do call them and express your displeasure. We pay for 2 day shipping and definitely should get it. I have ordered several things over the last month and everything has arrived in the 2 day timeframe. I hope you get this fixed.

@CatLoverDogsToo  No, I didn't check a box like that.  I did receive a letter back from my e-mail to them which I posted above.  They said they upgraded me to 1-day shipping after my letter, which means my packages will arrive on Monday instead of Tuesday. Smiley Sad

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I live in rural area, no ups on weekends. If I order on Thursday or Friday I get on Tuesday.

4 days is good in my world.

Remember when you would order from catalogs and it took 4 to 6 weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLEM wrote:

I just received an order from Amazon that should have been here on Tuesday (today is Thursday).  I have ordered this before and it always gets here in two days.

However I assume because of the snowstorm that has crippled the East Coast, everything shipped from there or to there was delayed.  No big deal!

@CLEM-

That is exactly correct. I've been expecting several UPS deliveries and recieved notices that due to the storms on the East Coast, deliveries will be delayed.

I have no problem with that; it's unavoidable.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

People assume that the 2-Day thing is whatever you order, it'll be at your house 2 days after you order it. This is not necessarily true, and never has been true.  It's 2-day shipping, not 2 days from the time of hitting Purchase. It depends on where what you're ordering needs to come from and what their prep time is.

I think that the reason people are noticing it more is because there are many more third-party vendors shipping direct now, and not as many thins coming straight from Amazon warehouses.

@Moonchilde this is a great post.  I was a Prime member (happily) for many years but noticed in the last year or two when I dropped off that I wasn't receiving things in the two day range.  Whenever I contacted Amazon they always extended my Prime membership by another month but I think you hit the nail on the head is with way more third-party vendors they are having a problem with meeting what had been expected.

I now order from them when I have an order that meets free s&h (lowered because of Walmart pressure).  The first took forever, the second within two day Prime and the jury is still out on the last order I am waiting for . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

I just placed an order through Amazon Prime for five items.  Today is Thursday, and all are scheduled to be delivered Tuesday, which is four USPS days away.  Amazon Prime is supposed to be (and used to be) two day shipping.  This is ridiculous.  I don't want to give up my Amazon Prime, but don't understand why they do this.

Prime guarantees 2-day SHIPPING TIME. They sometimes have no control, with a third-party vendor, on how many days it will take until it's ready to ship.  A company might take 3 days to get the item to where Amazon needs it to be, or to get it ready to be shipped. That is not part of the Prime guarantee. Prime guarantees that once it's shipped it will arrive in 2 days.

I ordered three items yesterday. One of them is coming from an Amazon warehouse and will be here tomorrow - 2 days. One item is from a third party vendor and needed one extra prep/retrieval day and will be here Saturday. A third item required still another day's prep and will arrive Monday.

People assume that the 2-Day thing is whatever you order, it'll be at your house 2 days after you order it. This is not necessarily true, and never has been true.  It's 2-day shipping, not 2 days from the time of hitting Purchase. It depends on where what you're ordering needs to come from and what their prep time is.

I think that the reason people are noticing it more is because there are many more third-party vendors shipping direct now, and not as many thins coming straight from Amazon warehouses.

@Moonchilde  That is not the way Amazon explained it to me.  They sent me a detailed e-mail explaining how it worked.  I posted the entire e-mail in a post above.  I do realize that some things that are shipped Prime mean two-day shipping from the date it is shipped, but that is always noted in the description.  I ordered something today (Friday) and it is scheduled to be delivered on Sunday.  It's never consistently the same anymore.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Rockycoast wrote:

We have been Amazon Prime members for many, many years. Never had a problem with 2 day shipping. It was a God-send during the Christmas season! Compared to QVC's shipping, handling and the prices they charge...Amazon wins hands down in all catagories.

Another perk for me with Amazon Prime is using their Visa credit card, I get 5% back on Prime orders, plus I got a $60 credit when I got the card.  So far, all my deliveries have arrived within the two days, including a couple on a Sunday.

Honored Contributor

Have not had this problem.  I always check, if I do I'll join you on the phone to CS.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Never been remotely tempted by Amazon Prime. I was ticked off when they hiked their non-Prime minimum order to qualify for free shipping on select items from $35 to $50 with no notice, and they've just as quietly reduced it.

Walmart has cut their $50 free shipping minimum to $35, as noted here. Both are following the lead of upstart and recent Walmart acquisition Jet, which has always had a $35 minimum order for free shipping, usually with a 2-day delivery. They're now offering discounts on some orders if you'll accept a longer delivery time frame, and they don't hold that money like Amazon, they discount your order.

Beyond incredible customer service, Jet also has Jet Anywhere, a cash-back program that gives you JetCash on online orders from many sites, including QVC, which is credited to your Jet account after 30 days. Last year, QVC's rebate rate was a whopping 20%, and it's currently 6.4%. I buy all kinds of things on Jet, from imported food to cat litter to OTC items and cleaning products. Their search function is a little buggy, so I always hit Google/shopping as a double-check if I'm not finding something via Jet's search tool.

IMO, if you're not shopping across Amazon, Walmart, Target, Jet, and directly with manufacturers, you're probably not getting the best possible deals.