Esteemed Contributor

Re: According to Jill, "MANY" of us have Summer homes...

Perhaps it is regional. I live in Minnesota, where more people have summer homes than any other state in the country. It is NOT uncommon to own a second home here, probably because we have over 11,000 lakes which makes for a lot of shoreline properties. It used to be that people would "go to the cabin", but those little rustic log cabins have been replaced by 4-season homes.

We are part owners of a family lake home in Wisconsin.

Honored Contributor

Magicmoodz: Yes, I'm thinking it depends on the availability and cost of land and property, and whether or not most people are employed. I envision a few couples/families pitching in and owning a Summer cabin, home, whatever. But, it's all relative. If the 'cabin/second home' costs hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars, or is overly expensive because of the land value/area (and property taxes), then possibly not most or even many own Summer homes/cottages/whatever. Well, we all learn from one another here.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Anybody want to borrow my winter apartment just let me know. It comes with nosy neighbors and people that like to hammer on things in the middle of the night other than that you will enjoy your stay lol.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Preds said:

Well of course I have a summer home. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky} We use it summer, spring, winter and fall. Smile

Award for the Best Post of the Day!Smile

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 SoX said:
On 3/5/2015 Preds said:

Well of course I have a summer home. {#emotions_dlg.sneaky} We use it summer, spring, winter and fall. Smile

Award for the Best Post of the Day!Smile

I agree! P reds you crack me up!
Super Contributor

I'm sure given all the viewers in total, there are "many" who own summer homes. I am not one of them. It's silly to expect that something a host says will apply to everyone. Therefore it's silly to be asking Jill to "tone it down".

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 magicmoodz said:

Perhaps it is regional. I live in Minnesota, where more people have summer homes than any other state in the country. It is NOT uncommon to own a second home here, probably because we have over 11,000 lakes which makes for a lot of shoreline properties. It used to be that people would "go to the cabin", but those little rustic log cabins have been replaced by 4-season homes.

We are part owners of a family lake home in Wisconsin.

That's a great point, magicmoodz. It is not uncommon, in Jersey, to own a second home down the Jersey shore.

It is not uncommon in this general tri-state area to own a second home in the mountains, down the shore, or another state for get-aways.

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Super Contributor

There are many people that have vacation homes. It may be rustic and not suitable for year round living, but a vacation home none the less.

Honored Contributor

I don't see anything wrong with the comment.

Respected Contributor

When CA drops into the sea I'll have ocean front property.

But, until then I prefer my desert home with very mild winters.