Honored Contributor

Re: A Social Credit Score....

[ Edited ]

I watched a show recently that revealed a disturbing number of cameras watching the citizens of China. By 2020, China will have completed its nationwide facial recognition and surveillance network, achieving near-total surveillance of urban residents, including in their homes via smart TVs and smartphones.

Their Plan requires 100 percent surveillance and facial recognition coverage and total unification of its existing databases across the country. Authorities in the southwestern provinces reported in December that they had completed the installation of more than 40,000 surveillance cameras across more than 14,000 villages as part of the "Sharp Eyes" nationwide surveillance network. "Sharp Eyes" is a platform that can link up public surveillance cameras and those installed in smart devices in the home, to a nationwide network for viewing in real time by anyone who is given access.

"Sharp Eyes" comes from a ruling Chinese Communist Party slogan, "the people have sharp eyes," which traditionally relied on the eyes and ears of local neighborhood committees to keep tabs on what its people were up to. Soon, police and other officials will be able to monitor people's activities in their own homes, wherever there is an internet-connected camera. This works hand in hand with the social credit score system SeaMaiden mentioned.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Well, they can take lessons right here!  I do not comment on a lot of topics here now because I know the thought police and people of one mind about certain people will pounce on you forthwith!

The haters call you a hater and accuse you of all sorts of things.  I have found it is usually haters who throw that term around to the rest of us by the way.  Remember the old saying "Takes one to know one?"  Well now it takes one to suspect (because they are biased) one!  

@Sooner, whether I agree with you or not about what happens "right here" (hint: I don't), this discussion is about the government, not private entities or individuals.

@suzyQ3  I made a point pertinent to to the discussion.  Whether we discuss actions by governments or the same tendencies by people and non-government groups of like-minded people, it is the same tendency in our society today.  That was my point.

I am not at all surprised that you don't agree with me.  That's certainly part of a discussion.  And you have always made your positions clear.  So there's no problem there for me. 

Got it, @Sooner. You see a story about government using its power to control people's behavior as equal to interactions on social media.

@suzyQ3 Yes.  It is all about controling people's thoughts and opinions and not allowing them to express differing ideas or beliefs in public.   And that's what social media is best at doing. 

Well, then, @Sooner , I think you have makings of an interesting thread, and I would be right there commenting, as you already know.:-) And yes, that is a very different issue.

This thread is very specifically not about social media or private entities in and of itself controlling anything. It's about the Chinese government (or could be any government) controlling its citizens' behavior.

It's a distinction that is not trivial.

No, the distinction is certainly not trivial.  It's a vital distinction.  When discussing "media" (whether one side or the other), one must remember that they are not armed, they do not rule, they do not legislate.  Governments do!  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

July 7

Agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Immigration and Customs Enforcement have turned state driver’s license databases into a facial-recognition gold mine, scanning through millions of Americans’ photos without their knowledge or consent, newly released documents show.

Thousands of facial-recognition requests, internal documents and emails over the past five years, obtained through public-records requests by researchers with Georgetown Law’s Center on Privacy and Technology and provided to The Washington Post, reveal that federal investigators have turned state departments of motor vehicles databases into the bedrock of an unprecedented surveillance infrastructure.

Police have long had access to fingerprints, DNA and other “biometric data” taken from criminal suspects. But the DMV records contain the photos of a vast majority of a state’s residents, most of whom have never been charged with a crime.

Neither Congress nor state legislatures have authorized the development of such a system

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

China IS a Communist country.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is what happens when you don't live in a freer country. Fascism.  Dictatorship. It is what some want here in the US too.  

Esteemed Contributor

Although this is extreme I do see the positive side to this. I’ve traveled to Japan which is not a communist country but there are rules in society there which make it one of the cleanest, safest & nicest places to visit. There are no signs dictating behavior nor is there a heavy police presence. They have no national religion which dictate a moral code but grow up In Shintoism, concern for others before yourself. I love America, born and raised here but the trends within our society scare me re Her future. I’m glad I am older and was raised at a time when we had pride in our Country & concern for others. Even those who serve as role models show disrespect for our flag & the Country it represents & the people who gave their lives defending freedom including the right to disrespect our flag & Country. So though I do not condone communism or giving up personal freedom & certainly don’t want a government controlling my personal life but sometimes too much freedom hurts a society. The Japanese have pride for Country & people instilled in them & I wish as a people we had some of that pride & concern for others
Respected Contributor

If any one has done any reading re: North Korea and some of the lives of those who defected or were able to get out of the country you will be amazed at how the "average" NKorean lives in that country. Have read several books on NK and several defectors and learned about the country and the "caste" system and the punishment system. The Kim leadership/govt wants to know that the NK people cherish the Kim family and people are rewarded in neighborhoods for reporting on each other. There is a kind of "neighborhood watch system"--every district in every town or city is broken up into neighborhood groups of 30-40 households, each with a leader who is responsible for coordinating grassroots surveillance and encouraging people to snitch.  This too is a communist country!  NK's constitution was reviewed in '09, the word "communism" was removed as well as all mentions of Marxist-Leninist ideas!

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

If any one has done any reading re: North Korea and some of the lives of those who defected or were able to get out of the country you will be amazed at how the "average" NKorean lives in that country. Have read several books on NK and several defectors and learned about the country and the "caste" system and the punishment system. The Kim leadership/govt wants to know that the NK people cherish the Kim family and people are rewarded in neighborhoods for reporting on each other. There is a kind of "neighborhood watch system"--every district in every town or city is broken up into neighborhood groups of 30-40 households, each with a leader who is responsible for coordinating grassroots surveillance and encouraging people to snitch.  This too is a communist country!  NK's constitution was reviewed in '09, the word "communism" was removed as well as all mentions of Marxist-Leninist ideas!

Unfortunately, there is extreme government control in countries other than those deemed as communist.

In fact, George Orwell's "1984" was loosely based on Franco's fascist regime in Spain. Fascism is defined as "a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism." -- from Dictionary.com

Today there are several authoritarian countries that resemble such regimes.

Such control often takes root during times of crises, when people long for stability and certainty and are willing to give up many of their freedoms.

We are very fortunate to live in a country that cherishes the principle of freedom and unalienable rights.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Unfortunately, there is extreme government control in countries other than those deemed as communist.

In fact, George Orwell's "1984" was loosely based on Franco's fascist regime in Spain. Fascism is defined as "a governmental system led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition and criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., and emphasizing an aggressive nationalism and often racism." -- from Dictionary.com

Today there are several authoritarian countries that resemble such regimes.

Such control often takes root during times of crises, when people long for stability and certainty and are willing to give up many of their freedoms.

We are very fortunate to live in a country that cherishes the principle of freedom and unalienable rights.

@suzyQ3  Amen, we are very fortunate and I cherish my freedom!

Esteemed Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

There was a time before most of you were born, where a "government" indoctrinated its youth to spy on their parents.  

Beware the government you give carte blanche to because thinking for yourself might be too burdensome for your busy life style.

@RoughDraft, this is totally baffling to me. I see it at work all the time. There are some people that just want to be told what to do instead of using their own judgment in getting their jobs done. 

I would never want to live under this kind of rule. My fear is we are just one step away from it because people just arent paying attention to the underlying intentions of everything going on.  

@aprilskies 

If anyone works with the public, that's where you really see how people have forgotten how to think for themselves.

It scares me that it could happen here in America.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.