Frequent Contributor

as a 60 year old  a part of my daily beauty routine is to use a face brightener like vitamin c serum however its summer and i am leaning to using a self tanner on my face. will that not cancel out what i've been working towards? and clog my facial ppres with brown ick?

Honored Contributor

Re: tan face or bright face ?

I've never used a self-tanner on my face. Bronzers is what I like to use. That way you can wash it away and still use your regular skin care products. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@2boxers wrote:

as a 60 year old  a part of my daily beauty routine is to use a face brightener like vitamin c serum however its summer and i am leaning to using a self tanner on my face. will that not cancel out what i've been working towards? and clog my facial ppres with brown ick?

You've got to add some "color" to your face while self tanning...the idea of using bronzer as suggested by SilleeMee

is good, or something like Jergens Moisturizer in light/med or med/dark (depending on your coloring) at night so you wake up with nice subtle color.  If you do self tanning on your body and nothing on your face you'll have that "cadaver" glow about you😁

Honored Contributor

@2boxers wrote:

No, it won't cancel out what you've been doing. It's temporary and more likely that it will work the other way around and you'll lose the tan faster, especially if you use exfoliation products.

One thing to note: a self-tanner makes everything darker, including brown spots. If you are using a brightener on any brown spots, expect that they will get darker with a self-tanner, then fade again with the tanner. You can help diminish that effect that by using a damp cotton swap to remove the self-tanner just over the spots.

Honored Contributor

Laura Geller has a good face highlighter for this use.

She has five to be exact.  I'd look at all the videos and make a choice.  This way it's easy to correct.  A facial tanning lotion can't be controled.

http://www.qvc.com/beauty/makeup/face/laura-geller/_/N-1z12yuaZrinyZ1z141qc/c.html?identifier=6325&c...

Respected Contributor

I use this everyday (face and body) and keep my tan all year. LOVE the foam version....so easy to apply! No streaks, just great tan color (use the med/dark the lighter one doesn't do much) no stinky smell and drys fast. The best I've ever found.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think either is beautiful, but I prefer to be bronze year round. I just look healthier. 

I have freckles and will never give up my vitamin C, Retinol, or brightening products. I just use them w my self tanner, which does make the color fade faster. I am acne prone and have never broken out from a self tanner.

My skin is brown but bright...sounds impossible, but it is very possible if u do it right. My freckles r actually less noticeable. It can go the opposite way though, where ur spots get darker. Someone gave u a tip on that already. 

If ur curious, I would just give it a shot, bc it isn't permanent and won't take away from what u have achieved brightening wise. It does take some practice. Finding the right self tanner for your skin's chemistry is key! 

My favorite self tanner is Tan-Luxe Serum. My 2nd fave is BareMinerals Faux Tan. 🌞

Frequent Contributor

thanks for the advice. will do!